CHAPTER 23.

Jacob's P.O.V.

Song: Hideaway by DAYA.

............................................

I'm greeted by the usual view of my home. The chandelier hanging so high on top that even Sia can't reach it. Flawless wooden floors on the floor and travels into both sides of the house. The huge staircase that I dread walking up after a long day.

All in all, everything was normal. Usually when my mom is stressed she would be looking for floors to clean and renovating at places that don't need it. This is good. It means she isn't guilty of doing anything wrong.

I saw Vanessa's car out front so she's still here. Vanessa is my best friend. Through all my phases she's been there. When we left I thought I wouldn't be able to see her again but showing up unannounced was an awesome surprise.

"Mom?" I shout into empty space.

"In the kitchen!" I hear clinking coming from the kitchen. Everybody already ate so why is she making more?

I walk towards the kitchen and my senses are invaded with the fresh smell of a bakery. Standing by the oven with chocolate chip cookies in hand is my mother.

"Mom? What's going on?" I ask questioning.

"Oh, nothing." She says with a wave of her hand.

"Well. . . You only ever bake when we're celebrating. So why are we celebrating?"

"What? I can't bake when I want to? Just sit down and eat. I'll get the juice. It's freshly squeezed." She says with a happy chirp in her voice. She lightly forces me and I sit on the chair behind the kitchen island.

"I didn't come here to eat muffins. Liam said-"

"Oh dear Liam. How is he? He isn't sick, is he? I can make chicken soup. You know how my soup can work magic." She starts to take out the pots but I stop her.

"No. It's fine. His. . . His fine. I just wanted to-"

"Where is your brother? He took off with your father to god knows where. You know he's only going to be here for a week? That's absurd. He needs time with his family." She says while taking the glass jug out with juice inside.

"Yes, I know he'll only be here for a week and no I don't know where he is. I left before he did. He's probably going to explore the town or something. Anyway-"

"This is delicious! You absolutely have to try this Jacob!" She hands me a muffin. By now I'm getting a little agitated. She's interrupting me every time I even attempt to bring Liam up.

"No. I don't feel like eating right now." I say trying to calm myself.

"Oh, just one bite." She brings it closer to my mouth.

"No. I said I'm not hungry." I say pushing her hand away.

"Just one." She brings it even closer.

"Stop!" My voice booms through the house and my mom jerks her hand away from me in freight.

I take a few calming breaths to bring myself under control. I used to lose my temper like this. I thought I got over it.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to shout." I say softly.

"What's going on sweety?" She asks sweetly. Walking around the island and enveloping me in a hug.