Heart On Fire

Tobias POV

Watching her crumble was the worst thing I'd ever had to watch, seeing her I felt so helpless. She was grieving and no matter how much I wanted to... there was nothing I could do to stop or fasten the pace of the process.

Who threw the punch that you couldn't handle?
What came along, blew out your candle?
Love, gotta light it back up...

It's been months since we've returned to Chicago, the city now mostly put back together. The factions put back in place, and Tris and I sit-together- in my old apartment. We hadn't the time to process all we'd gone through, and Tris didn't have the time she needed to face all the loss. All the pain, all the sadness.

Maybe it's just yourself that you're fighting
Keeping the shine in, your star from rising up
Gotta light it back up...

Something had burnt out in her. I had expected it... I just didn't expect it to be this drastic. I thought I'd still be able to recognize her, and each day gets harder. She hardly faces the world, or me. She keeps to herself, all the pain killing her in the dark. And there's nothing I can do. I've tried everything, but nothing seems to bring her out of the dark.

Won't let you sink, like a stone to the bottom, bottom
Let me remind you of the you you've forgotten...

Another day came along, and I expected it to be the same. Waking up beside a woman I still insanely love, yet not the same woman I fell in love with. But everything that occurred through me for a loop.

I woke up and went into the bathroom to shave. And a memory of the time we spent at amity returned to me, as Tris walked up to me... wrapping her arms around me. Something I hadn't felt for so long, yet yearned for forever.

"Morning." She whispered, pressing her lips gently to my bare back.

"Morning." I said back to her, my voice probably holding shock. I turned to her and she smiled- one of true genuine happiness.

"How are you beautiful?" I asked her, knowing that she was a little better already.

"I feel... better. Happy." Tris answered, and I swung her into my arms. I had woken up to the woman I met in the net, the woman I fell in love with and chose to stay for. The woman who I'd risk everything for.

It's just a road, it's just the wave that you're riding
I know it's rough, gotta get back up
Light it back up...

Now I live with the woman I imagined myself living with. I am now married to the woman whom I will love till the day I die.

"Tobias, can I talk to you?" She asks, walking out of the bedroom one night. As I sit on the couch running over some paper work for Evelyn.

"Sure love." I say, pointing my attention to her.

"I wanted to thank you." She says, taking a seat on my lap, straddling me to look deep into my eyes.

"For what?"

"For helping me through everything. Months ago I was so broken that I even believed I couldn't be fixed. That you'd leave me for someone more put together, and that... nothing would ever be fine." Tris says, and her words sting here and there.

"But you never gave up on me, Not once. You stayed by me all those days." She takes my hand in her, holding it closely to her.

"Even when I didn't talk to you, or acknowledge you... you stayed by my side." She whispers.

"Of course I did. I wasn't going to give up on you, I loved you too much to do that. Still do." I tell her, and she smiles.

"I'm pretty damaged and I have so much baggage." Tris tells me, making me laugh lightly.

"Look who you're talking to." I tease and she hits me playfully in the chest.

"I need to tell you something." She says, seriousness taking over her face.

"What is it?"

"I'm pregnant." Her words echo.

We had discussed kids, dreamed about them... and now it's happening.

"That's... that's amazing Beatrice." I whisper, kissing her lightly.

"I know, and this baby is going to have one amazing daddy. One who'll stand by them through anything and won't ever give up one them." She tells me, causing me to smile.

"And this baby, will have an amazing mother. One who will love them uncontidtionally, and will teach them not to give up on themselves." I tell her making her smile as well.

Who threw the punch that you couldn't handle?
What came along, blew out your candle?
Love, gotta light it back up
Maybe it's just yourself that you're fighting
Keeping the shine in, your star from rising up
Gotta light it back up
Won't let you sink, like a stone to the bottom, bottom
Let me remind you of the you you've forgotten
It's just a road, It's just the wave that you're riding
I know it's rough, gotta get back up
Light it back up

A/N: Not my worst... Not sure if it's my best. But I was inspired when I listened to the song.. Yes it's another Nashville song :) I love the songs from that show!! Hope this ones okay, I've been struggling to finish any updates lately. Slowly working on them!