|Ch. 3|

The steady humming of Alex's engine was the only noise the whole entire car ride. The irritable silence was growing on me as I hoped we were nearing our destination. I rolled down the window and felt the nice breeze pierce my face and tangle my long, sandy brown hair.

Alex pulled over to the side of the road where there were no cars to be seen. The only thing was a street light that was flickering off and on. I glanced in both directions searching for some faint glimmer of light.

"Is something wrong?" I questioned.

"No, we are here," he stated, staring at me.

"This is like the scene of a murder, are you going to kill me or something?" I asked glancing over at the dark vast woods behind Alex.

"Just get out of the car."

I slowly opened the car door and stepped down from his truck, almost face planting as I heard Alex laugh.

"What? You think you murdering me is funny?" I exclaimed.

"A little," He murmured.

"You bring me to the middle no where and just expect me to trust you right now?"

This was the craziest thing I have done yet. Why did I get in that car with Alex in the first place? I don't even personally know him. Now, here I am standing outside his car in the middle of who knows where and no one can hear me scream. What have I gotten myself into?

"You coming?" he said motioning to the dark abyss of thousands of trees.

I reluctantly followed behind him, trying to see in the darkness. I pulled out my phone and turned on the flashlight.

"No, don't do that. You will scare them away," Alex whispered to me.

"Scare who away?" I said while turning off the flashlight.

I could barely see where I was going and could faintly make out Alex standing in front of me. How long was this walk? I was wearing strappy sandals and could feel the dewy leaves scratch at my feet. As the klutz I am, I occasionally looked down to make sure I didn't trip over a branch.

Just as I was studying the ground, I bumped into the back of Alex as he made a haltering stop.

"What was that for?" I stammered.

"Shhh..."

We came into an open field and Alex sat down on the wet grass motioning me to sit down next him. I staggered over to where he was and plopped down realizing my nice shorts just got soaking wet.

"Sorry, I should've brought the blanket, I left it in my truck," He stated.

"What are we here for?" I asked.

"Just wait..."

I looked around the open field and looked at him confused. Suddenly, a huge array of fireflies light up the field as each of them glowed.

I sat there in amazement.

"Pretty awesome huh?"

"Yeah, where did you find this place?"

"I ventured out here one afternoon and my truck broke down on the side of that road. The tow truck wasn't going to pick me up for another hour, so I decided to venture out into the woods. That's where I found this place. Now, I come here every Saturday night," He said.

So tough guy Alex had a sensitive side to him too. Hmm, surprising. I guess everyone has a secret.

"So, why do you let them control you?" he said turning his head to study me again.