|Ch. 16|

My eyes awoke to the bright fluorescent lighting. The unbearable illumination caused me to harshly cover my eyes and hold my head in agony. After I blinked my eyes a few time, the bare white room shone at me. I gripped the edge of the bed I was laying on fumbling for some sense of familiarity. My hand touched the I.V. that was flowing an unrecognizable liquid into my veins.

I began to panic, looking for some way out. My feet hit the cold shining white marble floor as I tried to regain my strength. I stared at the massive white door that was barred shut trying to figure out some way to escape. Immediately, I reached for my necklace that was no longer there trying to grip onto something recognizable. I was startled as I laid my hands in my lap wondering where I was.

I kicked my feet off the edge of the bed irritated trying to regain my thoughts. Suddenly, the colossal door opened and a women and man entered.

"Oh good, you're awake," said the blonde haired woman.

I stared as she wore a bright white lab coat and her hair was perfectly pulled back into a neat ponytail. She carried a white clipboard and began to scribble on it looking down and back up at me.

"Oh silly of us, we forgot to introduce ourselves, I am Agent Williams and this is my partner Detective Lawson," said the man.

I desperately was hoping that this was some kind of dream. That I would wake up and Alex would be waiting there for me in the woods. But, that was a distant memory to me now as the reality began to sink in.

"Agent? Detective?" I stammered.

This was all too much to take in. Why would a detective and agent be here with me? What was this all about? Just because I took a stupid necklace off, I was here with them?

"We don't expect for you to understand, but we will try to explain everything to you," replied Detective Lawson.

"Go on.." I muttered.

I was unamused as they both fumbled on who would speak first.

Finally, Agent Williams spoke up saying, "As you can notice, you no longer are wearing your necklace. You are currently in a waiting process considering that no one has even tried to perform this drastic measure.  Because of this, we have to take into deliberation your fate and the existence of your loved ones."

My fate? What kind of trouble was I in? At this point and time, I was completely regretting not paying attention in Mrs. Holiday's class. Maybe, that's why I was in this situation to begin with.

"I don't think I recollect what you are trying to tell me," I mentioned.

My hands clenched my head as it throbbed in agony. My weary eyes droopily gazed at the two FBI personnel standing in front of me.

"We are carefully monitoring you for a while, but I am sure we will decide a quick and easy fix to this issue as soon as possible," replied Agent Williams.

I gazed at Detective Lawson still writing her hearts content away on the clipboard. I mean what was so interesting about me just sitting on this bed feeling like I got hit by a bus?

"My head is throbbing," I muttered.

"That is the medicine we gave to you to help ease your pain. No necklace, means no capability to love," piped Detective Lawson.

No ability to love? I don't think they fully understood the capacity to which I was falling irrevocably in love with Alex Porter.

"Excuse me?" I questioned.

"Your necklace was your source to your soulmate, the true love of your life. You took yours off, that means you do not have a soulmate anymore," stated Agent Williams.

"Well, just place me with someone new then, simple as that," I stated.

I could sense both of them beginning to portray frustration with all of my constant questions.

"It doesn't work like that Mrs. Johnson. You were placed with this person since birth, but you have tampered with the device. Therefore, you will not be placed with a new soulmate," Agent Williams strongly specified.

I tugged at my white hospital gown staring downwards at the glistening marble floors. I tried to wrap my head around the words that just escaped Agent Williams mouth.

"Where am I?" I questioned.

I realized that I hadn't even questioned them originally at where I was even located.

"You are stationed at the corporate headquarters for the time being," revealed Detective Lawson.

"Corporate headquarters for what?"

"For the necklace. This is where the people make the decision of what necklace goes where. And also, we have a fully equipped room to make sure that you all are getting along perfectly in finding your soulmate," responded Lawson.

Have they been viewing everything that has gone on in my life so far? Did they even have an inclining of knowledge about Alex and I? Who were these people that decided that Brian and I were the perfect match? Where was Brian? What was going to happen to him?

All these questions swam around in my head but I just couldn't convey my thoughts into words. I couldn't even grasp the reality that I had chosen to remove my necklace. Why had I decided to do this? I meant to remove my necklace as a statement for showing my love for Alex, not for permanently ruining the people's lives that I loved most. What was going to happen to them? More importantly, what about me?

All of this guilt arose within in me even more as I replayed the last time I saw Brian in my head. Where was he at this moment and time?

After recollecting my thoughts, I finally asked, "Where is Brian?"

Both of the FBI agents stared at each other trying to realize on what to answer me. They quickly whispered amongst themselves as I anxiously waited while nervously swinging my legs off of the bed.

"Follow us," Agent Williams commanded.

The nurse was called in to remove the I.V. out of my arm. I watched carefully as the long pointed needle was delicately removed from the vein and I stretched my arm to regain some sense of feeling in it.

I carefully placed my feet on the icy floor as the door to the room was thrust open. The bright white walls hit my eyes like the piercing sun as I blinked a few more times to regain my eyesight. I followed behind the FBI personnel down a long corridor passing by multiple windowed rooms with hospital beds waiting for the next victim.

Immediately, the two stopped in front of me and I turned towards the vast glass window staring into the room. I gasped as I saw Brian laying numb on the bed with a silver machine attached to his head. Anger gripped the inside of me as I looked over at Agent Williams mumbling something to Detective Lawson.

"What's going on? Why is Brian here?" I angrily asked.

Both of them faced towards me with a grimace in their eyes. I could only sense what they were going to say next, and I knew I was going to be furiously heart broken.

--------

Well this Chapter definitely took a turn in the book! What do you guys think has happened to Brian? Dang you guys this is getting good haha.