Chapter 5 - Mission

Airi pov:

"Are you ready to head out, Ai chan?" Natsu asked, grinning at me while sitting on top of Happy's head. He was so small and kind of adorable.

"A ready as I'll ever be!" I said, ready to rock and roll on the new mission.

Natsu, Gray, Erza, Michelle, Wendy and I had accompanied Lucy to her father's mansion two days ago. We had gone there to look for a book that had clues on where to find the remaining parts of the clock.

Just before we had decided to leave, another member of the Guild had told us about the people who we were actually fighting against. This S class Mage, Gildarts, had told us that we were fighting against the largest Religious Organization of Fiore. They had stolen one part of the clock that Lucy's father had left behind for her and they too were looking for the rest of the clock.

It was strange though, seeing that an Organization that's supposed to be protecting the Guild and the people of Fiore were the ones who were fighting against us and looking for the parts of the clock. Were they miscreants trying to get their hands on some sort of forbidden power? That was possible; after all, every organization had weak points and people who misused those for their personal gain.

Besides that, I had been introduced to Gildarts properly. He was a scary looking person and his maryoku was super high. I guess you could say he was the strongest Mage in the Guild. He had the ability to disassemble anything he touched and since he was usually someone who wasn't aware of his surroundings, the whole town of Magnolia would be rearranged to create a path with no obstruction when he arrived. Just to make sure he didn't end up walking through people's houses and leaving holes in their walls.

I have to say, his ability is kind of scary. Nonetheless, he is pretty funny too, especially they way he gets all goo goo eyed over his daughter Cana.

Coming back to the point, we had run into some pretty heavy interference during our search. There was a guy dressed in armor swinging around a huge sword. He also had a shield that absorbed and sent back any attack that it blocked. There was also another Exceed who was flying around trying to do anything to stop us.

We had split up and the book that we had found was being passed around so it wouldn't get in the hands of the enemy. There was so much of commotion and confusion and what added to the commotion was the guy in the armor being over dramatic at his love at first sight with Lucy. I for one, kept running away and hiding because I didn't want to use my reiatsu unless really required. But when I heard this weirdo confessing his love at first sight to Lucy, I was pretty perplexed.

In the end though, the guy in the armor whose name I think was Dan had managed to hit Natsu with his magic sword. And that's why he sat on Happy's head, barely a few inches tall. Only if he made contact with the sword again would he be able to get back to his normal size.

The Exceed who was with Dan had stolen the book momentarily to memorize whatever was in it. When they had what they needed, they had disappeared with no concern to what we did after that. The mansion was sort of destroyed in places and the effort we had put in to make sure that the information we had was a secret had been in vain.

But I guess that important thing was that we were all alive.

Once we had returned to the Guild, Lucy had sat down to figure out the locations of the clock parts. We had decided to split into teams so we could head out to the locations and get the different parts of the clock. When we had all the parts, we would meet up in the place where our team was heading.

Bidding farewell to the Guild, we all set out to the docks. The place we were going to could be reached only by sea and Lucy had already booked a ship to take us to the location. We thanked the boatman as we got onto the ship and everyone took the time to relax. It was most definitely like the calm before a storm. We needed to use this time to focus for the fight that would definitely come soon.