Chapter 36

As the party went on, my boredom grew rapidly; I was amidst a crowd full of people I hardly knew, all wanting to befriend Oliver because of his celebrity and monetised status. Tommy greeted guests from time to time, but he very rarely left my side, despite his connections with many of the people there.

The temperature soon dropped as the night went on, Tommy and I retreating to the warmth of the interior of the house. We just sat there, comfortable in each other's company, both of us consumed with the underlying fear of what would be Oliver's future. Oliver joined us throughout the night, talking about our times together before the island, and cracking jokes here and there.

Soon, Tommy has rejoined the main crowd of the party, leaving me alone with Oliver. He looked as though he had something on his mind, but it was unclear to what was bothering him.

'Are you okay?' I asked him, concerned for his wellbeing.

'I'm fine,' Oliver shrugged. 'Are you enjoying the party?'

'It's great,' I answered sarcastically, receiving a laugh from Oliver. 'You know I'm not a big fan of your so called 'friends'.'

'I know,' Oliver accepted my views. 'But they're probably going to be leaving soon. Then it'll only be me, you and Tommy left.'

'That's when we'll be clearing up all the mess outside,' I added. 'Which isn't very fun.'

'I've already hired somebody else to do that,' Oliver smirked rather arrogantly.

'You really are still that same Oliver Queen, aren't you?' I asked rhetorically on dismay. 'The one who never got to the island.'

'People never change, Aria,' Oliver told me seriously. 'I thought you'd understand.'

What was that supposed to mean?

'What I understand is that you're holding onto your old self,' I protested. 'I know you can't change completely, but please, just be less of an idiot. I know you're better than this, Ollie.'

'Is that supposed to be a compliment?' He commented with another smirk.

'Please, take this seriously,' I pleaded. 'I know you can be a better man, Ollie. I know you want to do good in this city. You used to talk about being more than just Robert Queen's son on the island. And I wanted to believe that if we returned here, you would carry this wish on. If not for anyone else, just be the man you want to be for me.'

Oliver really was taking me seriously now, his face breaking into a sad look of shame and longing, as though he really did want to be a better man, but he just couldn't for some reason that he wouldn't disclose. It made me feel helpless too, as though I couldn't help him in his quest to greatness.

Oliver's phone beeped violently, causing us both to jump, breaking me away from my assumptions.

'Sorry, I've gotta take this,' he apologised, speeding out the living room, leaving me alone, but not for long.

Lance strolled into the room sheepishly, as if he was embarrassed about something.

'Is Oliver here with you?' Lance asked me hastily.

'No, he just went upstairs I think,' I replied. 'Why do you look so nervous, Detective?'

'I found out something... Interesting,' Lance retold his tale slowly. 'Oliver-'