Nightmares to Dreams

Connor rolled over in the sheets to glance at the time. 3:18am. He couldn't see anything in the darkness, although he could hear sniffing and hitched breathing coming from Troye's direction.

"Tro? Are you okay?" Connor whispered into the darkness.

"Connor...d-did I wake you up?" Troye's voice sounded scratchy.

"It's okay. What's wrong?"

Troye turned on his lamp. Connor could see his puffy eyes and wet checks in the dim light. "I had a nightmare."

Connor slowly rolled out of bed and sat on the edge of Troye's. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"It's 3:20am..."

"I don't have anywhere to be." Connor interrupted.

Troye slowly sat up in bed to face Connor. "It sounds stupid" he began, "but it was about you..."

Concern rose up in Connor. He didn't want to make Troye upset in any way, even if it hadn't been real. Troye took the silence as an invitation to continue.

"I...I don't want you hurt Connor."

"What are you talking about Tro?" Connor asked.

"You flew home to California and Tyler... He was mad that we'd been together... He hurt you. I couldn't do anything about it. He knew I was watching but he just laughed. It was like he thought it was a game. I tried to stop him.... I tried to stop him Connor, but he wouldn't." The pain was evident in Troye's voice as he spoke.

Connor moved next to Troye and scooped him up in a hug.

"Hey..." He whispered, "Tyler wouldn't do anything like that. Sure he's upset, but he would never do anything to physically hurt someone."

Troye rested his head on Connor's neck and sniffed quietly. "I'm scared Connor."

"What?"

"I said I'm scared."

"Why are you scared?" Connor inquired.

"It just, I've been thinking a lot." Troye began, "Thinking about Tyler, our relationship and spending time with him. Of course I'm upset about the break up, but there's something about it all that won't get out of my head."

Troye lifted his head to meet Connor's eyes. It was dark and he could hardly make them out, but the intensity of them suddenly caught him off guard. He couldn't stop staring. Connor was the one to break the silence.

"Tell me about it."

Troye broke his eye contact. "It will make me sound like a horrible person."

"I have all night, literally." Connor pointed over to the clock beside Troye's bed.

Troye sighed. "Well, its almost as if I was telling myself I liked him just to keep it going. The truth is, I don't know how much of my feelings were real."

Connor stared at Troye with concern. "You didn't like Tyler?"

"I did! Just not as much as I thought....ugh this isn't coming out right."

"Then why did you date him?"

"I don't know...maybe as a distraction?" Troye looked away from Connor as he continued. "I guess there are just some people you can't get over... But I couldn't date a straight guy..."

Connor sat frozen in his position. He couldn't date a straight guy?... Connor thought back to earlier that night. "I realised that I kinda...maybe had feelings for you." Immediately, Troye realised what he'd said and gave a quick nervous glance to Connor before looking down at the bed and back to Connor again.