Letter

The morning after was just as bad as the night before. Connor rolled over in bed once again after the restless night, trying to erase everything about the party from his mind. His phone vibrated on the table next to the bed. It had been going off all night, but Connor hadn't touched it since he got home, afraid of the messages awaiting him.

Bzzz.

Connor couldn't stand the buzzing anymore and grabbed his phone to turn it off. 11:43am. As he opened it, a long list of messages and missed calls from Troye filled the screen. Connor didn't bother to look at them, instead dropping the phone on the bed and standing up. Deciding he needed time to clear his head, he changed into sport clothes and headed out the door. He would have missed the small paper rectangle at the door if he hadn't glanced down as he left the apartment.

The small, white envelope sat on the ground at his feet. He slowly bent down to pick it up and flipped it over. As soon as Connor saw the handwriting on the envelope, his heart beat quickened. A part of him wished he could rip it to pieces and walk away from it all, but his fingers had already begun unfolding the paper inside. As his eyes scanned over the scribbled mess, he feared the words on the page contained the worst news he could think of. Hesitantly, he slowly stepped back inside and walked to the couch with letter in hand to begin reading.

Dear Connor,

I can't imagine the pain I've put you through. I don't think I've ever regretted something more in my entire life. I haven't slept all night and I feel sick to my core. I know that I was drunk and it's no excuse for what happened, but I can assure you that I wasn't acting on my own morals. I would never intend to hurt you in any way.
I need to tell you I'm sorry, even if it doesn't change anything. I know that telling you in a letter is not enough after what happened, so I'm asking you to meet me at your favourite little hideaway tonight at 7pm. It doesn't have to be for long, and you don't have to stay, I just need to be able to explain myself and apologise properly or the guilt will eat me alive (more than it already has). I understand if you don't want to see me. I've booked a hotel for the rest of my time here and I've asked Hannah to collect my things from your place.
Anyway, I'm rambling and this isn't going anywhere... Just please come tonight. I'll be waiting, even if you don't show. I'm sorry Con.

- T

Connor placed the letter down on the coffee table and wiped stray tears from his eyes. He couldn't bear the thought of looking troye in the eyes after what he had witnessed only the night before. He didn't want to go. He didn't want to see him.

Yet, he knew he did.

Carefully, he folded the paper into his back pocket and ran his hands through his hair. Everything was a mess.

Bzzz Bzzz Bzzz.

Connor heard his phone vibrating from the bedroom and instantly jumped up to get it. A small part of him was disappointed that it wasn't Troye, although he doubted he would have answered it if it was. Instead, Hannah's name appeared and Connor was quick to answer.

"Hannah?"

"Connor! How are you feeling?"

"Fantastic." Connor said, flatly.

"Hey, I'm only trying to check up on you."

"Sorry..."

"Listen, Troye has booked into a hotel and he asked me to come get his stuff. Can I come round now?"

"I guess. Troye said you were coming. He wrote me a letter. I guess he told you what happened then."

"He did. He came running to me just after you left and asked where you were. I could tell that he was drunk and he threw up everywhere before he could begin explaining what happened. I took him to the spare room and expected him to sleep, but I went to check on him when everyone had left and he was just sitting in the middle of the bed. He'd sobered up a little and told me everything. Neither of us slept much. We talked for hours and he decided to write you a letter since he doubted you'd answer him on the phone."