Chapter 24

*katlyn's P.O.V*
Nick and I have been going out for almost three years now. It seems like just yesterday we went on our first date.
Oh god! Our first date was pretty shitty but good in its own way. He took me out to a restobar to keep it simple. But we were a mess.
I knocked hot soup all over his  pants. Which, I tried to help clean with tissues and then realised the mistake I was making. He literally just gave me an awkward smile and headed to the men's room.
I was not the only the only one that made a fool out of myself. Oh no no no. Nick fell face first into the snow, pulling me with him.  We were embarrassed at the beginning but laughed it all of.
As much we convinced ourselves it was a friendly date. It felt much more. We were too worried to talk to each other next day since we thought that the other person was likely to think that day was a disaster. But then, what we didn't know is both of us loved the date, because it was after a very longtime that we had been so carefree and happy, despite the hot soup.
A lot changed and a lot remained the same through the three years. Nick and I love each other dearly, more everyday. He went on to build a startup of his own,a year after we met. I stayed at Mikaelson Steel Corp.

*****

I had recently applied for the role of global Chief Advisor at the company I'm working for. I know it sounds crazy, considering I'm too young. But I knew I could prove myself, if given the opportunity. So, today I'm going to do just that.
Right now I'm headed to the office for the interview. I can't believe I cleared through the previous rounds.
I walk to the reception and Laura greets me with a grin.
"Hey girl. Where should I go?"

"Oh my god, kat! I'm so happy for you and  teeny both jealous." She winks at me.
"Um, wait. I don't think I have this right. It says here that you should wait at the CEO's floor lobby."

"What? Can you recheck for me please."

"Yep. 26th floor, it is.
All the best, babe. You gonna rock it!"

I thank her and head towards the lift.
I wait for barely five minutes in the lobby and the floor manager escorted me to Mr. Elijah Mikaelson's office.
To say I was nervous was an understatement. I had thought of several different scenarios in my head, maybe even more than Dr. Strange in infinity wars.
"Good morning Sir."

"Sign this. Karen at the front desk will help you out."

I just stood right next to the door, gawking at him. He just pushed a document towards me without even lifting his head up from his file to see me.

"Um, Sir. I was informed that this was supposed to be an interview. I don't think I'm in the loop. Are those my termination papers?"

Finally he looked up, closing the file.

"Have a seat."
"I'm going to be honest with you. When I first saw your resume on the final list, I thought, I need a new HRD." He chuckled.
"Because it's absolutely insane if you ask me. To hire a girl in her 20's to be the global advisor. You were the only applicant from your age group. The resumes we received we're all around their 50's or more.
But I went through all your credentials, the video recording of your previous interviews, your work here, your co-workers. I see potential.
So, I'm offering you a job for the role of a personal assistant."

If I was smiling before, I was not anymore. A personal assistant? What the hell. I'd rather just go back to my old job. He's trying to demote me! How could he?! I worked so hard for this company!

" No offense, sir but I believe my credentials are not groomed for a personal assistant. I'd rather stay in the position that I currently possess."

" I haven't finished. You will be my personal assistant for the next two years or even less, depending on your performance. During that time, you'd be closely working with me on various critical issues. This is your training period and you need to be quick. You absorb any and every knowledge you receive. Failing which, you will be terminated from your employment in this company."
" Read the document and sign it if you're onboard."

I slowly read the document while I process every information I received in the last ten minutes.
I believe that I will be able to do it and I'm
not stopping until I do. So, I sign it with no hesitation.

"Congratulations. Now, look for
Karen. She'll explain your daily tasks in detail."

I thank him and leave his office in search of Karen at the front desk.
After the basic introductions, she began to dictate my work and cue my head starts to spin.

"You must check-in to the office before Mr. Mikaelson does and you leave only after he does. He comes in at 9 a.m sharp mostly or earlier and his departure always depends on the schedule. There is no set time. You can approximate one or two hours plus or minus the time dictated on the schedule to judge your take-off time."
"You will be given a company phone, tablet and laptop which is to be used strictly for official purposes. The phone and the tablet will be pre-updated will all the essential applications, contacts, emails, documents, notes."
"I've been assisting Mr. Mikaelson before your arrival. So any questions regarding any issue, you can ask me. I have personally checked the phone, tablet and laptop. All the information uploaded are upto date."
She pulled out a tablet and proceeded to show me the crucial details.
"This app is his schedule. His schedule is filled for the next three weeks. So, you can start filling in new meetings, appointments or anything else from the fourth week."
"This files app has confidential documents that you might need immediate access to. Expanded documents folder will be on your laptop."
And she further showed me the contacts filled with many important people's numbers and email id's.
She also gave me a tour of the floor and my office which was right next to Me. Mikaelson's. The floor had three pantry's and one of them was purely dedicated to the CEO. The variety of drinks and snacks in the pantry, truly amazed and excited me.
"You can go home for the day. Mr. Mikaelson has asked me to convey to you that you will start tomorrow officially."

"Oh. Is that right?"

"Yes. I know you must be overwhelmed by the load of information. Go home and process it. I'll see you tomorrow at 8:45 a.m sharp."

"Oh okay. Thank you, Karen. I'll be really needing your help through all of this."

"Don't worry, honey. You'll be fine. I'm just few desks away. You can come to me whenever you need."

———

It was just after 4 p.m. So, I decided to grab some coffee at a local diner, where I sat down to ponder over my thoughts.
By the time I left the diner, it was 6:24 p.m,so I grabbed some dinner for Nick and I.
When I reached my apartment in 10 minutes. I used my key to open the door. But to my shock, it was open.
I open the door widely, I hear nothing. The lights were all switched off. Nick comes home at 7:30 p.m usually. So it can't be him.
I didn't turn the lights back on. I didn't want to alert the thief. I grab something that was on arms reach.
A vase.
Something is better than nothing. Trust me.
I head towards Nick and I's bedroom. I open the door with trembling hands.
Immediately everything goes darker than the already prevailing darkness.
I immediately realised that the thief covered my head with something.
Panic sets in. I scream on top of my lungs. kicking and punching the air in hopes that I get the thief.
I feel my body weaken and I slowly lose consciousness.