Chapter 37.

•Jacob•

    I fixed my tie as Ari combed her hair. Today was my parents wedding and the ceremony was about to start. "So what happens after mommy and daddy get married?" Ari asked. "Mom's last name would be Perez like dad, yours, and mine and then they go somewhere for a few days and it'll be just me and you in the house until they get back." Ari stale faced me. "You almost cut my hair last time it was just me and you in the house. I wanna go with mommy and daddy!" Ari whined.

The one thing about Ari is that she whines–a lot. Hopefully it's just because she's a lot younger than me and I see stuff differently. "Well you're not going to." I said. "You didn't have to be rude about it." Ari huffed. "And you didn't have to whine, but you did it anyway." Ari rolled her eyes at me and I rolled mine back at her.

Dad rushed in looking nervous as hell. "Daddy, how come I can't go with you and mommy?" Ari asked. Totally ignoring her question, dad started flattening his suit in the mirror. "Do I look okay?" Dad asked. "You look fine. How come I can't go-" "Cause you can't." Ari smacked her lips which caused dad to say, "Don't get an attitude. It's bad for the soul." "Not mine." "Listen. Today is not the day for your attitude. When we leave, Jacob will be in charge and you'll have to listen to everything he tells you. Only if it's logical," dad said looking at me, "I don't want any arguing. Hear?" "Hear." Ari and I said glaring at each other.

    The bell rang which told dad that it was time to go to the podium and he stomped his foot. "Let's go." He mumbled. As we were walking I asked him, "Are you ready?" "Readier than I'll ever be." We stood at the podium waiting for Ari to come out. When she did everyone awed and took a few pictures. Then the music came on and and mom walked out with Papa next to her. "Aw shit." Dad cursed under his breath, covering his face with his hands.

    Mom got to the podium and both her and dad were just staring into each other's eyes.

~~~~

     The party just ended and now they were about to leave for the airport. "Bye mom. Love you." I said kissing her cheek. "Bye, baby. I love you more." "Love you, dad." "Love you, too." Both of them kissed Ari's forehead, who was sleep in my arms. "Stay safe!" I called out as they pulled off. When they were out of sight I put Ari in my car and started making our way to the house.

    When we got there I took Ari to her room and put her in her pajamas. Once I was done that, I put mine on and called it a night.

The next day| 6:45 am...

     "Ari, get up!" I shouted, for what seemed the hundredth time in just ten minutes. She continued to lay there and I was irked. I went downstairs and got a bottle of water. I ran back upstairs and went into her room. "Ari! Get up!" I shouted one more time. Ari continued sleeping and I opened the water and poured it on her.

      Almost immediately, she popped up. "Why'd you do that?" Ari whined. "Cause you weren't getting up." I shrugged carelessly. "You messed up my hair! Now you have to fix it!" "I'm going to put it in a ponytail and that's it. We don't have time to be messing with that." Ari started whining and kicking her feet and I rolled my eyes. "We don't have time for this. Hurry up and brush your teeth and get dressed before you go to school in pajamas, messy hair, and stinky breath." I said.

     I went to my room and closed the door. Before I tried to wake Ari up I brushed my teeth and took a shower. It was pretty warm out today so I decided to wear a white t-shirt, black cargo shorts, and my all white Air Force 1's. I jogged downstairs and made a bowl of Frosted Flakes. I checked the time and it was 7:05 and I had to be to school by 8:30 and Ari's school was almost 45 minutes away from here and 20 minutes away from my school. "Ari! We need to leave!" I shouted up the steps. "I'm not ready!" "If you don't hurry up, you and I both are going to be late for school!" "I don't like school!" I groaned and went upstairs. I walked into her room and she was sitting on her bed, fully clothed playing on her IPad. I picked her and her bookbag up and carried them downstairs. I grabbed my bookbag, phone, and keys and walked out the house locking the doors.