Ch. 31

Ch. 31
"Harry"

This is a short (kind of) prologue to the next chapter. My head is killing me, so if this doesn't make sense I'm sorry.

The next time Harry saw Ginny, she was asleep. Her eyes were closed as she laid on her side, face half buried in her pillow. She looked exhausted, so he didn't wake her, but secretly felt disappointed that she wouldn't be there with him as he faced McGonagall. Again.

Umbridge was still at Hogwarts, sitting on her throne of lies, as Harry worked to convince McGonagall that it wasn't just Ginny getting randomly annoyed. He kind of wished he still had the words printed on the back of his hand so that he had some kind of evidence, but of course Ginny had healed him and he was just left with his plain patch of skin with blue veins running under it.

The worst part? Ginny would be expelled for 'harming' a teacher if they didn't do something about it. Umbridge said she'd 'broken' her wrist upon falling whilst trying to get away from Ginny, and was demanding the girl be expelled. Harry wasn't sure if it were true, but hoped not. He didn't have the heart to tell Ginny that they could be separated when at the first moment she woke up it felt like there was a wide crevice separating them.

The Bond that had always tied them together felt weak and fragile, Harry was afraid that if he tested Ginny's anger with this news, that he'd end up severing their connection. Of course, it was impossible to completely cut the Bond, but that didn't mean that they couldn't break up and not trust each other any more.

The mere thought made his stomach clench. He couldn't imagine living a week without holding or kissing Ginny. He wasn't sad to say that she'd become sort of his rock here lately, otherwise he'd probably have gone mad.

Could anyone blame him, really? Ginny had that natural feeling around her. She kept things from falling apart whenever Harry was teetering on the edge, she made him calm, she helped him keep his eyes on the task. Yet, this last time he wasn't able to help her. He'd let her anger get the best of her when he could have easily stopped it. He wanted her to explode at Umbridge, that little voice in his head urging him to stay quiet and let the events unfold.

He felt like he'd failed her, truly. It didn't seem possible for him to feel so ashamed at something he didn't even do. He didn't have anyone to talk to about it, so the guilt just kept bubbling in his stomach. Even Dumbledore, who was fighting with him to keep Ginny from being severely punished, had no wise words to lend him. Not that he'd bring his troubles to the Headmaster. He'd much rather talk to Ginny about it, the only person who could truly understand him.

Harry turned on his heel and marched to McGonagall's office, his mind overflowing with thoughts.