Ch. 33

Ch. 33
One More Night

Ginny woke up in Harry's arms. His hair was plastered to his forehead, his eyebrows scrunched together. Firelight cast onto his features, shadowing them.

That's when Ginny realized she was no longer in the Hospital Wing. The Gryffindor Common Room was dark in the deep night, the air silent except for the crackling of the fire. A glow was rising from Harry's skin, and Ginny only had moments to admire the way gold danced around him before his eyes flew open.

"Gin?" He asked sleepily, turning to his side on the couch. Ginny looked up at him, seeing his worried eyes.

"Hi." Was all she could think to say. Harry cracked a smile, putting his hand on her cheek. Ginny almost winced as a knife-like pain shot through her cranium.

"Hi." He replied, his glasses crooked on his nose. She straightened them, giving him a small smile, "How are you feeling?" He asked. Ginny debated quietly whether to tell him of her dreams, but didn't know how she would tell him. Finally, she decided to tell him at the very least about the pain in the back of her head.

"Just... Sore." Is what came out. She scrunched her eyebrows together, "Completely fine- No, I'm one hundred percent perfect." She blinked, looking at Harry's confused face. It was like something had reached into her mouth and grabbed her tongue, forcing her to say things she didn't want to, "In fact, I think I'll go upstairs now." But Ginny stayed still.

"Okay?" Harry pressed his mouth together firmly. She could tell he was looking through her mind, and prayed to every deity that he'd see the dark figure that presided in the back of her mind. But he didn't, instead standing up and letting her awkwardly get off of the couch.

"Uh, goodnight." She mumbled, turning to leave. Harry caught her arm and needles poked at her skin. He turned her softly and placed his hands on her cheeks, making to kiss her.

Ginny pulled back, jerking her head from his hands as his lips brushed against hers and she gasped, pain flaring in her mind. She stumbled.

"Ginny!" Harry's voice said, grabbing her waist as she threatened to tip over. Ginny pushed him backwards.

"Stop!" She said, pressing her hands against her forehead, "Merlin." The pain was throbbing through her entire being and she suddenly felt like she'd been run over by a truck.

"Ginny, you're not okay, are you?" Harry looked hurt, keeping his hands at his sides like he was forcing himself not to reach out and touch her, "I can feel it."

But it was so faint. His presence in her mind. For years he'd always been there, a bit of his conscious with her own, but now she could barely tap into his thoughts. It was like someone was wedging themselves between them. Tom.

"It's..." Ginny struggled to say his name, "You. Your fault." She cursed her tongue as Harry's eyes flashed with pain.

"I... I didn't want you to get hurt... I..." He seemed to be struggling for words.

"Leave me alone." Ginny bit into her tongue, trying to stop the words that were flowing like water from a broken dam. She was shaking, "I don't... want you anymore." Tears were behind her eyes but something kept them from flowing freely down her cheeks. Maybe because she was stubborn.

"Ginny..." Harry tried, "What did I do? I'll fix it. I promise. I-"

"Don't promise anything!" She said sharply, visibly wincing at the words, "You never keep them!" But it wasn't true. Harry did his best, trying to make her as happy as possible because he-

"Ginny, I love you. Don't... don't be upset." Harry swallowed. He was so far away from her, his hands stuffed in the pockets of his pajama pants. He looked so much like a kicked puppy that guilt sprouted in Ginny's chest even though it wasn't her saying these things.

"Yeah, well maybe you should learn to realize when people love you back and when they don't." That was the last straw, Ginny pressed her hands against her eyes, trying to fight against whatever was happening to her. She could sense Harry standing in shock.

"Ginny..." She glanced up, seeing his eyes were stony, "Whatever. It's whatever you want." He wouldn't meet her eyes, "Goodnight, I guess."

No! Get back here! She shouted in her mind. Harry still walked, no sign of him hearing her in his posture, Harry, it's not me. But there was a blockage in the bond. The wire connecting them was breaking, only letting in the slightest connection when you held it the perfect way. A darkness was sawing at the Bond.

But Ginny was alone. Harry disappearing up the staircase, and something told her, she'd be alone for a very long time.

///

Harry couldn't sleep.

His mind was awhirl with thoughts and his chest aching. He saw Ron give him a confused look when he came upstairs at 3 in the morning and collapsed on his bed. But Ron just went back to sleep, not asking any questions.

He didn't want to cry, which hurt him more than Ginny's words. He wanted to punch something, maybe kill something, to win her attention back. But then he equated that to the sappy romance novels his mum was always on about.

He tried getting Ginny's attention other ways. Through the Bond. Maybe asking her what was wrong so that he could help, but nothing happened. Ginny was completely cut off from him, and here he was, clawing at the frayed rope of the Bond.

Instead, he held the locket that rested against his chest. It's cool metal dug into his skin, but it was a distraction. He ran his thumb over it's surface, trying to close his eyes.

He couldn't help but wonder what had happened. One second, he was holding Ginny Weasley, his soulmate, and the next she was screaming at him. Harry kind of hoped it was a gross lady problem, but he knew it wasn't. Ginny never flipped out like this.

With a shuddering sigh, Harry closed his eyes and tried to fall asleep.