Ch. 43

Ch. 43
Planning

Cain, Katrin, Harry, and Ginny were huddled around the coffee table in the Room of Requirement. The Bonded sat on opposite ends, communicating mostly through short glances and expressions, while Cain and Katrin had their backs to the fire, Katrin with a book in her hands and her brother slowly talking about what the insider had said this time.

"She thinks that they know," He said, "That we're trying to kill Patrick. They're being shady with the information they give and she's worried they'll find her out." Cain looked worried as well, dark circles under his eyes and his fingers drumming a steady beat on the table. He shifted slightly so that he was cross-legged, looking between the Bonded.

"Well? Is she going to leave?" Ginny asked. The boy looked down, running his fingers through his hair.

"Not until she has all the information she can get." He said.

"And how do we know we can trust her?" Harry asked, "Why does she want to help so much?" Cain looked over at him, eyes flashing slightly, then glanced away and sighed.

"I've known her all my life." He said, like that answered both questions. But Harry's eyes softened and he gave Ginny a small nod.

"Cain, are they going to change the date of the meeting?" Katrin asked, eyebrows furrowing as she looked up from the book on Magical Oddities that she'd been flipping through. She looked thoroughly bored with it, however, and scooted it off her lap so it fell beside her with a gentle thump.

"Probably." He grimaced, "But they can only move it sooner. Else, Harry will be home from Hogwarts and can protect his family with the Bond and such. That is, if the Bond isn't already severed."

"So, my parents' lives are still on the line?" Harry asked softly. Ginny looked over, getting an urge to reach over and take his hand. To make him feel better in some way... She hated seeing him upset.

"I'm afraid so, Harry." Cain said. The boy slowly looked down.

"We can get help." Katrin decided, "I know some people that would be more than willing to fight alongside us in hopes of killing Patrick and saving the Bond."

"What if they got themselves killed?" Ginny looked over, "We can't ask them to do that!" She kept eye-contact with Katrin until the girl was forced to look away.

"They won't die if we play this right." Katrin said, crossing her arms. Ginny raised her eyebrows, "Surprise them, then kill Gillian Patrick before he can even see the curse flying at him."

"Whoa!" Cain raised his hands, "And how exactly are we going to do that?" He asked.

"First, distract everyone by starting a huge riot of sorts. Throw a few punches. Meanwhile, people will be protecting good ole Chimpy and we can have a small group of people kill him." Katrin explained. Then, she looked at Ginny. An understanding passed through them like there was a telephone line connecting them.

"And I think I know who will get to do the honors..." Katrin smiled slightly as Ginny beamed.

"What?" Harry looked up, the light in his eyes dancing from the fire, "That's too dangerous! If she goes, I'm going with her!" He said.

"We never said she'd go alone." Cain pointed out, "Katrin will be right beside her."

"I'll keep her safe, Harry." Katrin said. His eyes flashed.

"That's my job." He said.

"Actually, it's no one's job to keep me safe. I can do that quite well by myself, thank you!" Ginny piped in, putting her hands on the table in front of her.

"I'm a Guardian." Katrin ignored her, looking straight at Harry.

"What does that even mean?" He asks, "What, do you have a degree in Guardian-ing or something? Or did you just like the title and slap it onto yourself?" His voice was raising quickly, and he looked like he was about to reach boiling point.

"There's no reason for both of you to stick together when you can't even touch each other or use your abilities!" Katrin said, lifting up slightly from the ground as she made to stand.

"Guys..." Ginny sighed.

"In what ways can you protect her better than I can?" Harry asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Well, for starters, I'm clearly smarter than you-" Katrin said. Cain snorted and even Ginny cracked a smile.

"I..." Harry paused.

"As well as I have been trained my whole life to keep Bonded safe. Which includes you, mister, whether you like it or not!" Katrin pointed at him accusingly.

"Why does it even matter if we're separated? It's not like if one of us dies the other won't go insane and do Merlin-knows-what." Harry said. His tone was less angry and more annoyed now, and he wasn't turning red anymore.

"Because, if one of you dies, the other still has traces of Bond in them. They're still connected by the smallest little string, and that means that the spirit of the other one stays. That their abilities are still useful, especially if they want revenge on their Bond Mate's killer." Cain explained.

Harry took deep breaths, thinking about it. He supposed the Gryffindor was right, that not even death could rip apart a Bond, and he guessed that Cain and Katrin, who were trained to protect Bonded apparently, were better sources of information than Barty Crouch Jr. So, maybe they were right, maybe it wasn't the Bond being torn away that made the person left behind go insane, it was the need for revenge.

"Right..." Harry cleared his throat, looking at Ginny quickly, "But I still want to be around her. You know, whenever the fight goes down." Harry said. Katrin nodded.

"I understand." She said. He looked her in the eyes and saw that it was completely true. She understood him perfectly.

"Who is it that you said would be willing to help us?" Ginny asked. Cain laughed.

"Some old family of ours. And don't worry, they don't bite... Sometimes." He grinned.