Ch. 48

Ch. 48
What Goes Around Comes Around

Katrin knew that they'd be leaving any time after Christmas break, but when Cain marched toward her as she sat in the library, she had to admit that she wasn't ready.

She'd trained, yes, labored over her enhanced skills. She'd worried whether or not her abilities would work when she needed them, whether the spirits would take pity on her.

"We need to leave soon." Cain said, "Good ol' Greg is picking us up."

Immediately, Katrin groaned. "Greg? Why him?" The man, their uncle to be precise, was always straightforward. He knew lots about the Bond, yes, as he was an Unspeakable from the Love Chamber, but he was emotionless. It was terribly annoying. Oh, and he was endlessly irritating and snobby about his job.

"He's met the two before." Cain shrugged, "Apparently, he had special permission once to speak of the Bond with them."

This still didn't convince Katrin, and she sighed with displeasure. Her brother looked at her with understanding, and turned to make his way to the Gryffindor towers to fetch The Bonded.

Katrin huffed, snapping the book in front of her closed and standing. Her fingers drifted across the wood of the table, and her nails that had been chewed nervously stung as she pressed the tips of her fingers to the table roughly, her heart pounding.

Then, the worst feeling overtook her. She felt hopelessness and sorrow, pain and anger, and they all washed over her without regret. Her heart wrenched.

Danger. Danger. Danger.

Katrin's mind chanted the word over and over, the blood draining from her face. It was like someone had set off an alarm.

Her heart which had been hammering in anticipation stopped for a moment, and terror quickly took her over. Her legs moved on their own accord.

She passed Cain in the hall, the boy casually strolling toward the Gryffindor Commons. His shocked face stared after her.

She took the steps two at a time, almost tripping as she ran in a blind panic.

Save them. Save them. I have to save them.

"Where do you think you're going?" She felt fingers clasp her arm and she was pulled to a stop. Draco Malfoy sneered in front of her, and she saw that his eyes were not staying in the proper place.

"Let me go." She ordered, her fists clenching.

"No, I think I oughta have a little bit of fun-"

Katrin's palm collided against his chest and he flew backwards, slamming into the corridor wall. He, no doubt, had broken ribs, and she prayed that the little creep would have a broken spine too. But, she knew it was not possible. She hadn't hit him so hard as to kill him, her new powers would not go so far as to kill, but she'd definitely almost knocked his brains out.

Without another thought, she turned and ran. Her footsteps echoed, and the sound soothed her slightly. Her panicked footsteps turned even, her strides lengthening, she began to go faster. Focus. Focus. Focus.

Usually, she would have never made it this far. She had an endurance way better than the general population, but that didn't help in running across the castle to her next class. But right now, she felt like she could run a marathon.

Ginny. Harry. Ginny. Harry. Ginny.

It was a fierce sense of protectiveness, a roaring fire in her chest. She was determined, she was strong, she was-

Blocked.

"Password?" The fat lady from the painting said, her wineglass held respectively in one hand.

"Visitor," Katrin tried, "I'm just a visitor."

"Nice try, young lady. Look at your clothing." The woman raised an eyebrow. Katrin looked down, cursing loudly as she saw the Hufflepuff emblem on her jumper. She bit her lip.

"It's important." She tried, "People are in danger."

"Well, then, tell Dumbledore." The portrait said easily. Katrin narrowed her eyes, and she suddenly knew just what to say.

"Open up, you worthless piece of paper!" She practically screamed at the portrait.

"Young lady-"

"She's with me. Wormroot." A voice said from behind her. Katrin breathed a sigh of relief.

The portrait opened begrudgingly, it's eyes glaring holes through Katrin's skull, but she just ran through and ignored the lady.

The Common Room was normal, the fire cracking and popping, the warm rugs soft under the soles of her trainers. But there was an air of darkness.

Katrin slowly walked forward, drawing her wand and holding her hand out so that Cain would stay back. He did so reluctantly, knowing he was less protected than she was since he was no longer a Guardian.

Harry and Ginny were sprawled on the couch, Harry half-laying on his Bond-Mate. It was definitely something she wished she had never seen, and she let down her guard for a moment in shock.

They were asleep. Ginny's eyes closed, the skin of her eyelids crossed with blue veins. Her lips were slightly parted, her head tilted back, her hair spilling off of the couch. Katrin immediately knew something was wrong, and bent down beside the two.

"Merlin's Beard," Cain blinked, "Are they-"

"No. I'd have failed if they were, which means that I'd probably be dead by now. Struck down by the heavens." Katrin said. She slowly laid her hand across Ginny's forehead. The heat leaked onto her skin heavily, and she could feel something seriously wrong was happening in the girl's head. She could feel Harry's presence as well as Ginny's underneath her palm, deep in the girl's mind.

"Merlin, they're in her head." Katrin said, her eyes widening with shock.

"What? They'll be killed!" Cain announced helpfully.

"Thanks for the memo!" Katrin snapped. She closed her eyes, feeling a desperate need for help in her bones. She let it overcome her, and felt the power come back into her slight form.

"No! Harry first! If you pull her out, her mind'll close!" Cain stopped her.

Katrin took a deep breath, forcing her hand to leave Ginny's forehead and to move toward Harry. She took his hand.

And his eyes snapped open, their pupils dilated, and fear shining in the green irises.