Losing Time

An older woman was driving down the road in a black Ram pick-up truck. In her hands were directions; she glanced at the papers before sticking her head out of the window curiously. Finally she pulled over in front of a peach colored house. "This is it," she spoke softly climbing out of the truck. She then ventured up the sidewalk to the front porch. The woman took a deep breath then knocked firmly on the door.

"Coming!" a voice called from the other side of the door. The woman waited patently playing with her long brown hair like she did when she was younger. Her brown eyes trembled with nervousness then she calmed herself when the doorknob started to turn. The door swung open and a lady resembling the older woman stood in the door way and behind her was a little girl hiding behind the lady's leg. "Um hello, who are you?" she spoke.

The woman laughed, "Eliza! Don't you remember your own mother?"

Eliza blinked and stepped back shocked.

"Mommy?" the girl behind her looked up to Eliza, "Is that really grandma?"

Eliza picked up her daughter and nodded, "Yes Dakota, this is grandma."

"Dakota. Cute, but shouldn't you have a son for that name?" Eliza's mother laughed. "Are you going to invite me in?"

Eliza glared at her mother and stepped out of the way and allowed her mother to come into her home.

"Nice place..." her mother said before bumping into a man. "Oh excuse me, you must be Eliza's boyfriend!" she said extending her hand for a handshake.

"Husband." The man corrected her, and shook her hand watching her gape. "Eliza and I have been happily married for 12 years. You must be her mother, Jackie."

"Yes..." Jackie said then turned to her daughter wondering how she was able to stay with the same man for so long. "And you are?"

"I'm West." The man smiled happily as Eliza came over then he wrapped his arm around her waist.

"Nice to meet you West." Jackie said uneasily, "Um, Eliza can your poor mother stay here for the night?"

Eliza glared at her mother some then she sat Dakota down so she could go watch TV. "You may..." Jackie was about to say something but West hushed her, "but, there are some ground rules."

"Alright, explain." Jackie said.

"One, no corrupting my daughter. Two, no smoking in this house or in the lawn," Jackie was about to object but she stayed quiet until her daughter was done, "Three, no bringing men here. Then finally, don't try to make me get rid of West. I love him very much and you cannot figure you are before him because you were never there in my life. West was." Eliza finished and her mother looked hurt. Then she got her party face back on.

"Fine by me." Jackie said, "Anything you will like to add?"

"You only stay for tonight. That is it!" Eliza stated firmly.

"Fine." Jackie said then started to walk away exploring the house.

A few hours later, Eliza and her family were in the dining room eating while her mother was in the kitchen looking at what they had to serve. She made herself a plate then tried to go for the living room.

"No you don't!" Eliza growled at her mother. "Dining room, not living room!"

Jackie sighed and moved to eat with West, Dakota, and her daughter. After dinner the three started to play charades and other family games. "We never did this when Eliza was little..." Jackie whispered to herself watching her daughter and her family have fun.

"C'mon Mom join us!" Eliza said with a small smile. Jackie smiled at her daughter and shook her head.

"No thank you doll."

Soon it was nine o'clock, Dakota's bedtime. West and Eliza were up in their daughter's room; Eliza was reading a story while West acted out each sentence she had read. Once Dakota had fell asleep West and Eliza snuck out of the room, closing the door to a crack and tiptoed downstairs to see Jackie sitting on the couch.

"Mom the guest room is over there." Eliza said pointing to the door next to the kitchen.

"Alright doll," Jackie said getting up stretching as she hugged her daughter then she shook hands with West then went to the bedroom that Eliza had mentioned. After watching Jackie go to the guest room, West and Eliza crept up stairs to their bedroom.

In the morning breakfast was cooking and West was outside playing with Dakota. Eliza happily watched them from out the kitchen window. Suddenly, Jackie walked up. "Eliza...?"

"Yes Mom?"

"You taught me a lot in just one day."

"Oh really, have I?"

"Yes. You have quite a life here. I hope you stay happy." Jackie said softly.

"Mom?"

"Yes doll?"

"Here." Eliza pulled out her wallet and handed her mother the money in it. "It's only $158, but it should be enough."

"Thank you Eliza." Jackie hugged her daughter then she started to casually walk to the front door, "You sure you don't want me to stay another day?"

"Mom..." Eliza glared playfully.

"Alright, alright!" Jackie laughed then walked out of the peach colored house and down the sidewalk to her Ram pick up truck. She waved to the house before she climbed into the truck and took off down the road.