First Friend

I was just standing there, waiting for my mother. She was always late coming to get me after school. Mainly because she has to take a break from work then come and get me to bring me back TO her work. Which I didn't mind. Everyone was nice and I got a free after-school meal. I was rocking back and forth on my heels. Then I saw a girl walk out of the school. Her eyes were so puffy and red. I couldn't help but feel bad. So I just marched right up to her.

I remember when I marched up to her she didn't notice that I was there. "Hi there!" I said very loudly. It must have startled her because I remember her jumping and giving me a dirty look. "I'm Erin!" I spoke again, well at least the dirty look eased off her face. I got a rare ear-to-ear grin and spoke once more, "Who are you? I love wolves! Do you?"

My constant chatter must have brought the girl out of her shell. "I'm Josie... and yea... I like wolves..."

I couldn't help it but my chest swelled up with pride. "I just moved here from Baldwin! Want to be friends?"

Josie nodded some and smiled softly while she whipped her eyes.

"Are you okay? Why you crying!?" I remember questioning her.

"My mother fell asleep and forgot to come and get me..." She looked to the ground. I felt sorry for her. I had to walk home plenty of times because my mother left me at school. But I was a third grader for petes sake I couldn't do much for a school-mate of mine.

I hugged her. I knew this startled her because she jumped back. Then after a while she hugged me back and I let go.

Earlier today I could have been friends with the nasty mean kids but I kept my distance, and now I was friends with Josie. She'd promised me to let me come over when everything was all better and her room was clean. I gave her a goofie grin and a thumbs up. "O-tay!" I said. "I'll invite you over after we're done unpacking!" I said and we made a pinky promise.

We sat there talking until her mother came. I waved to them both and watched them drive down the road onto Highway 5. I stayed sitting since it was getting cold and the pavement was warm. "Where are you mom?" I wondered outloud.

Sure enough my mother arrived another ten minutes later. "Sorry honey, you get off school when its the lunch hour rush." She explained pushing the bronco's door open. I climbed into the massive vehicle happily.

"It's fine mama, I had a great first day!"

"Oh really? Did you make any new friends?"

"Yea one! Her name was Josie!"