Mazes

When I got home, I threw my bookbag onto the couch in the front room. No one was in the house. "Weird," I muttered to myself then shrugged my shoulders. I went into the kitchen and opened the fridge to grab an apple. I slammed the door shut, then two things caught my eye. A bright pink note, and a lime green one. I grabbed the pink one, it said 'Airyn, We went to walmart. You better be in bed when we get back. Love, Grandpa and Grandma.' I smiled softly knowing that they were safe now. I took the pink note and threw it in the trash then I glanced at the green note as I took a bite of my apple. Something was strange because it had cut-out letters on it... Soon I read it. 'Airyn, come to the "Boogie-mans" house tonight, You must reach him by 12AM if you ever want to see one who is close to your heart ever again!' I looked over at the clock, it was already half past nine... I suddenly dropped my apple, and it rolled across the kitchen floor. Then I lost my grip on the note and I rushed out the back door.

I reached the castle-like house then rushed to the front door. I trembled, trying to keep a hold of the door-knob to open the door. I gulped then pushed open the door. There was a note hanging from a hook infront of me. It said 'Your friend is in the top room isolated, no windows, one steel door. Work your way through the mazes by midnight...or he's dead. PS, if you want to know who he is, close the door and look whats hanging on the coat-hook.' I trembled as I turned around and closed the front door. Then my eyes widen in fear. A tannish cowboy hat hung. One name rushed to my name immediately. I turned once more and rushed into the maze, knowing that on the other side was a door.

On the fifth floor I collapsed right infront of the door to the last set of stairs. The House known as the Boogie-mans house was a six floor home that people spread rumors about, rumors that turn out true. I got up panting then opened the door. I tried to run up the stairs but I was walking. Glancing at my watch I had to force myself to go faster. It was five minutes til midnight. I reached the door to the sixth level; I bashed my body against the door, it held steady. I gritted my teeth then bashed it once more... it still barely held. I took a few steps back then ran at it at full speed finally knocking the old door down. I collapsed at the door and I heard a scream that came very close, but I couldn't get up then at that moment, everything went dark.

I awoke where I fell, I hurried up and rushed to the body in the puddle of blood infront of me "No... I was too late... DAMNIT!" I shouted "You bastards!" I held the body of a once close friend... and a true one at that. Blood started to stain my clothes as I picked up my friend and carried him down the fleets. The mazes had disappeared like they were all an illusion. I carried him to a cemetary after we left the cursed house. I clawed at the dirt in the dark.

After I was done, I was muddy and bloody. I sat infront of the small soft stone before his grave. Then I got up and walked home my head hanging.

On the stone was engraved "Sam, a true friend... If only I made it in time."