The Game

A girl stood tall, wearing a black tank top and shorts. On the tank top spelled out Softball on the front then on the back spelled out in small red letters Lucky then under it in larger letters was the number 10. She was wearing black cleats with red stripes on them, over her shoulder was a green bat that had the word Cyclone, the girls cold brown eyes looked around the bases, they had runners on every base, then she turned to stare at the girl before her who had just struck out. “That’s alright Kat,” she said giving her a high five; at least Kat got a piece of the ball.

Kat nodded “Good luck Lucky.” She smirked then walked into the ball pit before Lucky placed the helmet on her head then walked over to home base. The left side was cheering her name the right side was quiet. Soon nothing but crickets was heard. The pitcher popped her bubble gum then she winded up for the pitch, then she let go a fast one. Lucky took a deep breath then swung at the ball.

CRACK!

It went as the ball soared over everyone’s head, then Lucky took off. The ball didn’t drop until it was out of the park. The Center fieldsman of the other team took off looking for it as the black team ran in two runs then the third one was coming in. The opponents got the ball back into the field when Lucky reached Third base, she was taking her time, then she noticed the ball was back in play and took off. The ball was thrown to the catcher, the catcher caught it and went to tag Lucky but she slid under the catcher. “SAFE!” the umpire yelled. The black team and its supporters started to yell and shout in joy while the others mumbled and groaned. Lucky’s team piled out of pit and put her on their shoulders holding her up high and chanted her name, “Lucky! Lucky! Lucky!”

After the celebration Lucky walked home, her bat and glove hung over her shoulder. When she got to her sidewalk in front of her house she noticed someone standing on her porch. She ran up to the porch and said “Hello?”

“Oh! Hey, Lucky! I heard you won the game.” A red headed boy said with a toothy grin.

“We sure did Hal, we sure did.” Lucky grinned at him.

“That deserves a present.” Hal smiled at her softly. Then he pulled her close, cupped her face then pulled her into a kiss.