Chapter 18: Empty

* TW: self-harm / suicide (know you are not alone, and you are loved. you belong here. xx)

*****

~Mason's POV~

Is death painful? Or is it so quick you don't feel it?

Does your entire life flash before you? Do you see the white light that everyone talks about?

Have you ever had your heart broken?

Have you ever lost someone? May it be someone you love, or someone you were close to?

It hurts. It's a rather painful experience.

Have I been through it?

Yes, about a year ago. Actually, a year ago today.

A year ago today, the love of my life left the world.

What happened afterwards?

**Flashback**

I sunk to my knees, gripping the folded jacket in my arms. I tried screaming, but there was nothing left in me. Only silent sobs shook my body. My heart has exploded, I know it. Is this what a heart attack feels like?

My vision blurred as I looked down at the fast moving current. My nails dug into my arm, raking them down, leaving large marks that quickly filled with blood. I tried screaming again, but nothing.

My mind raced. I knew what I had to do. I scrambled to my feet, standing on the edge, feeling the wind slightly push me.

I had to end this. I had to end this pain and suffering. I can't live without him.I slowly lifted one foot off the edge. I was ready to fall as a pair of arms pulled me back into the street.

"NO!!" I shouted, kicking and thrusting around, trying to make my way back to the edge.

"Mason stop!" The voice shouted as they pinned me against the ground.

"Please, let me go," I begged.

The pair of arms picked me up and started carrying me over to a car stopped on the road. I screamed and thrashed around, trying to escape. The strong pair of arms kept me in their grip and dumped me into the back of a car. They closed the door before I could even blink.

I repeatedly beat on the window, hoping to break it. I shouted and stared kicking the door, praying it would open.

The driver's door opened and I froze. My eyes were still blurred so I couldn't make out who exactly was taking me away.

"Please, let me go. I want to go," I sobbed to the person. It was silent, except for my sniffling and sobs. The driver said nothing but drove to wherever we were headed.

**End of Flashback**

Turns out it was Louis who came and found me. He went out looking for me while Niall went looking the opposite way.

The notes?

Well, one explained why he did what he did. Another was full of dates, such as from when we met, our primary school plays, his many talent show days, our prom, his audition, etc.

The last one?

It was the one that got me the most.

Dear Mason, I've been working with my friend on a song, it's called Moments. I wanted it to be a surprise for you. When you hear it, please don't be upset. This song will always be dedicated to us. Don't forget, I love you.
-Harry x

Along with that note was the lyrics I'd never get to hear him sing. Or, so I thought...

****

"Mason?" Liam's voice called. I wrapped the blanket around my body as I followed his voice into the living room. As I entered, everyone was there with a saddened expression. Everyone's eyes watched me as I slowly made my way to the couch and sat down.