Monster

I stumbled with my hotel key, sliding through the lock. Dirt smudged along my fingers and knuckles, with small amounts of blood escaping where I accidentally cut myself on the surprisingly sharp corn stalks.

Like an idiot, I got lost in the cornfield after Link left. I wanted to see him, to apologize. I should've believed him, when he said he loved me. I'm such a.... a jerk.

I finally opened the door, swinging it open. Link jerked his head up to stare at me, slowly lowering his phone away from his ear.

"W-where have you been?" Link asked, walking up to me. I watched his ice eyes scan over my body. I tried to open my mouth, but no words escaped.

"You look... Like hell," Link chuckled, trying to wipe at something on my face. I flinched as his cold fingers grazed my cheek.

I carefully pushed his hand away, viciously scratching at my cheek myself. I didn't want to be touched right now, I didn't even want to be in my own skin.

"Rhett, my god, stop that!" Link demanded, pulling my hands down. I looked at my fingers, which were bloodied and blistered.

"What did you do?" Link asked, squeezing my hands. I tried to wiggle away from his grasp, but I failed. I peeled at my own skin, it felt too tight. I felt like I was suffocating.

I couldn't tell that to him, I'd sound crazy.

"I don't know..." I mumbled quietly, instead. Link carefully shut the door behind me, leading me to the bathroom.

Link stood there, looking perfect as always, holding a man's hands. The man had the same hair and stature as me, same height, same clothes. But he looked exhausted, to say the least.

Dry tear streaks separated the blobs of dirt smeared across the man's face, with small dribbles of blood running down his arms. His shirt was battered and rustic, as his cheek was red due to the excessive scratching he caused earlier.

Link released his grip from my hands, allowing me to run a swift hand through my hair. It looked the same, but it felt coarse and matted.

Link ran a washcloth under the sink, allowing it to soak up as much warm water as it could. He adjusted my shoulders so I was facing him. He carefully pushed the washcloth against my face, gently rubbing off the dirt and clumps of cornstalk.

He made me sit on the toilet seat, so he could pick random pieces of grass out of my hair.

He continued to baby me for while, a thick wall of silence separating the air between us.

The familiar suffocating feeling returned, itching at my skin. Invisible bugs crawled all over my flesh, taunting me.

"Stop," I ordered, reaching up, grabbing Link's wrist. I turned away from him, so he'd stop picking at my hair.

I angrily peeled the shirt off my back, and began to unbuckle my belt.

"What are you doing?" Link asked, his voice slightly shaking.

"I'm hot," I mumbled. If I wasn't so delusional, I could've sworn I could hear Link say 'Yeah you are,' but I just ignored it.

As I was pulling my pants off, I felt the heavy weight of my phone in my pocket. I hesitantly checked the lock screen.

You Have Missed Calls From:
Link(12)
Jessie(10)
Christy(2)
Stevie(5)

Three New Messages:
Link: Answer your phone
Jessie: Where are you?
Locke: everything okay? stevie is freaking out XD

It finally dawned on me.

You had these people worried sick. Monster.

"I'm so sorry," I whispered in defeat.

"It's okay," Link whispered back, carefully wrapping his arms around me.

"No, it's not."