Ring

My eyes snapped open. Everything came into focus within seconds. Link's heavy body was slumped against mine, our legs entangled on the couch.

I looked at the time, plastered on my phone screen.

2:34 a.m.

No notifications from Jessie asking where I was. My heart stung, lowering me into a pit of despair.

How could she suddenly not care about me?

Because she never loved you in the first place.

How did I fall for her?

Because she lies just as well as you do.

I don't lie.

Yes you do. You've lied your whole life.

About what?

Not loving him.

I shifted my eyes, to watch the raven-haired man's chest rise and fall with every breath he took. His hands folded neatly over his chest, as mine dangled at my sides, rubbing against the hard, wood floor.

How could someone so perfect, love someone so pathetic.

Link isn't pathetic, he's an angel.

What makes you think I was talking about him?

I lifted my hand, carefully intertwining my fingers with his.

I was calling you pathetic, idiot. Pathetic, useless, worthless, idiot.

"I'm not an idiot!" I shouted, chucking my phone across the room. Link's body jerked, springing to life.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, allowing him to lay back down. He returned to his position, resting his head against my chest.

"What's wrong?" Link finally asked, pulling at a string on the sleeve of my shirt.

"Just had a bad... Thought... Dream... I don't really know what it was. Sorry for waking you up," I said, pushing strands of hair out of his face. I continued to run my fingers through his hair, as he kept playing with my shirt.

"What was it?" he asked, quietly.

"The thought?" I asked, for reassurance. He nodded, taking off his glasses. "Just why I deserve you..." I answered honestly.

"You think your an idiot?" Link asked, turning around to face me. His saddened, puppy-like eyes glossed over with tears.

"Well I... A little bit... Yeah," I mumbled. He took my hands in his, staring deep into my eyes.

"I don't understand. Why?" he whispered.

"Because... I'm not smart, I make mistakes, I'm failing as a husband and a father..." I rambled off excuse after excuse.

"I don't see any of those things in you... I see a legend. I see a role-model, I... I wish I could show you what I see, cause in my eyes you're perfection," he cooed.

His words surrounded me in a cloud of confidence and warmth. He made me feel alive, he made me feel strong.

He made me feel wanted.

I quickly wrapped my arms around him, squeezing him close to my body. I kissed his ruffled hair, sighing against his shoulder.

"When did you know?" I heard him mumble.

"Know what?" I asked, still buried in his cotton shirt.

"Know that you loved me? I knew when you kissed me. I never realized it till then, but it just kinda hit me when you did..." Link explained, releasing from our embrace.

I thought about it for a while. When did I know? I don't think I ever made I conscious decision about it. My body just....knew.

"My whole life," I muttered, fumbling with my fingers, mindlessly tracing patterns on his soft skin.

Link took his hands away from mine, yanking at his hand. I sat there, dumbfounded, as Link pulled off his wedding ring, placing it on the coffee table in front of us. I watched him wiggle his hands for a second, before reaching his bare hand out to me.

I hesitantly placed my left hand in his. He nodded at me, before wriggling the gold band off my finger. Again, he placed it in front of us. He linked his lanky fingers with mine, the feeling of the foreign emptiness where my ring should be, overwhelming my emotions.

I felt sad, free, relieved, ecstatic, confused, and delusional all at the same time. My stomach turned, butterflies performing gymnastic routines in my belly.

Link leaned towards me, planting a soft kiss on my cheek, calming me instantly.

That ring doesn't define me.

I do.