Drunk Texts

"Rhett? Hun, Link's outside. He's waiting for you," Jessie's southern accent cooed. I peeled my sewn-shut eyes apart. I looked down, seeing Shepard and his bear still snuggled underneath my arm. I looked over at the T.V., recognizing the same cartoon channel I had turned on last night.

"Tell him I slept in, I'll be ready in a second," I said, carefully lifting Shepard. I rested his sleeping body back down on the couch, covering him with a blanket. I watched him snuggle with his bear. A soft smile crawled across my face as I stretched my back. Jessie exited the door, to get Link.

I watched Shepard sleep peacefully for a minute more, before returning up the stairs to get ready. I had to stay with Jessie, I couldn't ruin this family. I needed to do it for Shepard and Locke. Not for me, not for Jessie, for them.

I styled my hair, brushed my teeth, and slipped on a flannel shirt and skinny jeans. I examined myself in the mirror. Good enough.

I rushed down the stairs, seeing Link and Jessie talking at the counter. Two people I love, having a casual conversation together.

"Ready to go?" Link asked, picking up his keys.

"Y-yeah," I said, my mind still half asleep. I said goodbye to Jessie, and followed Link to the car.

"Seems like you had a rough night," Link said, opening his door.

"Do I look like hell?" I asked, climbing in the passenger seat.

"No, you look good. It's just... That text you sent me last night, you had me worried man," Link said, glancing at my arms.

"What text?" I asked. I don't remember sending him a text.

"Were you drinking?" Link asked me back. He pulled his phone out of his pocket, handing it to me.

I pulled open his messages app, clicking on my name.

Rhett: Am I worthless?
Link: God no, you're perfect. Everything okay?
Link: Rhett?
Link: Rhett, hello?
Link: Rhett answer your phone.
Link: Answer my calls.
Link: Rhett please, I love you.

I locked his phone, causing his screen to go pitch black. I set Link's phone in the cupholder, trying to remember when I sent that. I pulled out my phone, and there they were.

6 New Notifications From:
Link Neal

"I'm sorry, I was drunk, and then Shepard had a nightmare, and I must've fallen asleep..." I rambled. I felt horrible, this is the second time in the past five days I've made Link worried about me. Simply by not responding.

"That's okay. Just wanted to make sure you were safe, that's all," Link said. I sighed, staring out the window, recognizing every landmark that led to the office.

I felt Link's warm hand grasp onto mine.

He said he loved me. Sure it was over text, but he still said it.

He was panicking, he didn't mean it.

Yes, he did.

I shook my thoughts away, holding tightly onto Link's hand. Today we'd go to work, and everything would be okay.