Bitter Sweet

"So let me get this straight, you found them kissing, so you came over to kiss me?" Link asked, tapping his fingers on his arm rest. I mirrored his anxious ways, tapping my thumbs on the steering wheel.

"Yeah, 'm sorry. Christy told me not to tell you," I told him, honestly.

"I get it. Glad you told me, I don't feel as guilty about kissing you now," Link chuckled. I didn't get it. How could he continue to joke about this, while I broke down in tears after I found out about our wives' affair.

Because you're not strong enough.

I furrowed my brow at my own thought. I was right, if I could just suck it up like a man, I wouldn't have come to kiss Link, and I wouldn't have to be here, explaining the whole situation.

"Turn left up here," Link reminded me, reading off directions to get to Stevie's house. I quietly turned, allowing the radio to fill the silence.

"So how long do you suppose they've been doin' that," Link said, staring out his window.

"I... Don't know," I told him. "They don't know I've told you, so, let 'em explain it to us together. It'll probably work better anyway," I said.

I could hear an audible sigh from Link. He continued to stare out the window, lost in his own thoughts.

"What's on your mind?" I finally asked him, trying to strike up a conversation. How is it that after 33 years, we've just now run out of things to say.

"Besides 'why is my wife cheating on me?'" Link sighed, smiling weakly at me. I mimicked his attempt of a smile, understanding completely.

"Yeah," I mummbled. "Besides that."

"How soft your lips were," Link told me, with a wink.

What was that?

"W-what?" I asked, dumbfounded by his remark.

"You were the one who kissed me out of nowhere two times. Don't 'what' me," Link teased.

"Sorry about that," I said, my face heating up.

"Not only do we have to talk to our wives, but we need to talk about that," Link said, awkwardly.

I was already dreading that whole conversation. I could already imagine the questions. 'Why'd you kiss me? When did you learn you were gay?'

I'm not. I don't think, anyways.

I turned into Stevie's driveway, parking the car.

Link quickly hopped out, practically skipping to the front door. He rang the doorbell, rocking back and forth on his toes.

I stood behind him, waiting for Stevie to answer.

"We can talk tomorrow. With the wives. With each other," Link whispered to me. He quickly snapped away from my ear when Stevie unlocked the lock.

"Hi guys!" Stevie beamed. Link and I braced ourselves as a stampede of children hurdled towards us.

"DAD!" they all giggled in unison, showering us with hugs and kisses. I payed Stevie, even though she persisted, saying I didn't have to pay. I finally made her reluctantly take $50. She kept telling me how Jessie and Christy had been paying her all week, but I didn't care. Stevie deserved it. She waved goodbye as Link, the kids, and I all piled into my car.

I walked up to Link's door with him, after we arrived at his house. Lando, Lincoln, and Lilly all scurried inside without hesitation. I knew Locke and Shepard were still in the car, so I didn't want to keep them waiting.

I stared into Link's deep, bright, perfect eyes.

"Talk about it tomorrow?" Link asked, his hand barely brushing up against mine.

"Yep," I said. I hesitated before finally walking away. I got in the car, speeding home with the kids.

I opened the door, allowing the kids to run in before I did. I shuffled in, carrying Locke's backpack. I kicked my suitcase out of the way, as I had left it there earlier. Jessie had cried all of her makeup off, as Christy stood awkwardly in the corner.

Jessie carefully made small steps closer to me, as Locke and Shepard ran upstairs. I watched as tears formed in the corners of my wife's chocolate brown eyes, I've grown to love.

It killed me to see her this way, and while she was kissing Christy, I was kissing Link. It wasn't like we were angels.

But she cheated on you.

I still love her. I fought with my subconscious. I outstretched my arms, as a form of rebellion against my own thoughts.

I watched a wave of relief wash over her beautiful face, as she ran into my embrace. I rocked back and forth nervously, kissing the top of her head.

"I'm so sorry Rhett," she cooed, in her candy-sweet accent. I didn't really know what to say. For about the fifth time today, I've run out of thoughts.

"We'll talk about it tomorrow," I simply whispered to her, kissing the top of her head once again. I glanced up at Christy, gently pulling away from Jessie's tight grip.

I slowly walked up to Christy, looking her straight in the face.

"You're telling Link."