Chapter 2

“Taevy!” someone called out to my girlfriend as soon as we stepped inside the reserve room of the club where our formal was being held.

I spotted a girl hurrying towards with us in a metallic blue dress and her brown hair hanging loose around her shoulders with a blue hibiscus tucked behind her right ear. I recognised her as Kaelie Anderson, Taevy’s friend. Her boyfriend Josh Camden followed behind her. She wrapped Taevy into a hug.

“Kaelie, hey,” Taevy greeted her.

Kaelie turned to me, smiling as she greeted me. Josh greeted us too. He is kind of a shy guy and doesn’t speak all that much.

“I swear we did such a great job with the decorations,” Kaelie said. “I feel like I’m actually at the Logies or something.”

I glanced around the room, taking in the Hollywood theme. It was Taevy’s idea for the theme. Kaelie was excited when the formal committee went along with Taevy’s idea. She is such a Hollywood whiz. She has these crazy dreams about travelling there someday to become a director and all that. She even put together a short video of our grade tonight. I was excited to see it.

The red carpet was rolled out at the entrance into the room. A banner was hanging from the ceiling with “Class of 11” set up like the Hollywood sign. Also hanging from the ceiling was red stars with students names printed on them with gold letters. The tables had a black silk cloth over them with small rectangular prism vases with red roses for the centrepieces. Kaelie was right. It really felt like being at the Logies. In the background the DJ was playing Kesha, Taevy’s favourite artist.

“Do you like the stars Taevy and I put together?” Kaelie continued. “We wanted to actually spread them on the floor to make it like the Hollywood Walk of Frame but Mrs Gibbs didn’t like the idea so she suggested that we should hang them up. I still think putting them on the ground would be so much better.”

“Mrs Gibbs doesn’t know what she is talking about.” Josh put his arm around Kaelie’s waist. “The stars are great, just like you.”

I couldn’t help but smile at the two of them as Kaelie stood on her toes and kissed Josh. They have only been dating for a month now. It was Taevy’s idea to get them together. Kaelie had a crush on him for ages and was always too shy to even talk to him. Josh basically didn’t even know she was alive. Taevy helped her to get over her shyness.

Josh grabbed Kaelie’s hand and they disappeared on the dance floor. I grabbed a star in front of me to see whose name was written on it. Dawn Fisher. I quickly let go of the star. I can’t believe I have just picked the star with Dawn’s name on it. I couldn’t stand her. She was a real bitch and she even has this crush on me. I don’t know why she even bothers when the only girl I want to be with is Taevy.

“So what do you think of the stars?” Taevy asked me, slipping her hands into mine.

I smiled. “They’re fantastic.”

“Whose name was on it?”

“Dawn Fisher.”

“Hey Liam!” I wanted to die when I heard Dawn’s voice. I didn’t want to turn to her, but I did. She was wearing a similar dress to Taevy’s but hers didn’t glitter. It was dark green as well. Her blonde hair was braided to the side. Dawn glanced at Taevy, her blue eyes scanning up and down at her. I knew she was thinking something nasty but I knew she wouldn’t say anything. She forced herself to say Taevy’s name, but I knew she didn’t like saying it at all.

Taevy looked a little surprise that Dawn was actually saying something to her. She never speaks to her. “Um, hi.”

Dawn ignored her and pushed her out of the way so we were no longer holding hands. I felt a bit uncomfortable as Dawn placed her hand on my shoulder.