Chapter 8: A Flying New Start

Cass POV 

i stood next to my saddled horse, procrastinating on mounting him. i wore my beige breeches and the purple and green polo shirt that was customized to match with Smokey's coloring. Harry walked over to me, "dont make up excuses. even though i havnt been your boyfriend for that long, i still am and its my job to push you to do something that you want to do when you are too chicken to do it." 

"but Harr-" i said then he cut me off. 

"no buts. now we have bonded a lot in the past two days and the one thing ive noticed about you is that you are strong and determined. you are talented and i know that as soon as you get into that ring, you will be amazing. i am anxious to see you two at work," he motioned towards Smokey. 

"Thanks Harry," i said. i put my helmet on and he kissed my cheek before i mounted my horse. i took deep breaths. dont be scared, Cassandra. horses can sense fear. 

As soon as i was in the ring, i trotted Smokey out, getting used to the feel of the english saddle again. i was very surprised and grew more confident when i realized that i was posting properly. to me, riding a horse was like riding a bike, you never really forget. i struggled to collect Smokey's head, but that was a problem on his part, not mine. he complied to my command. i then kicked him into a canter. he let out a couple bucks of joy, not kicking too high. i heard gasps come from where the boys stood watching. "Im fine! he does that every day!" i shouted to reassure them that i was alright. 

I circled the ring one more time, "here we go, buddy," I told Smokey as we aproached the first jump that was about half a foot tall and a crossrail. he glided over it successfully and i heard cheers come from the boys. i smiled at my tiny victory and continued on. the jumps progressed, getting higher and higher. the next two jumps were about a foot and a quarter. those were successfully cleared as well. i turned Smokey to a two foot and a three foot next.  he jumped those with ease. the second to last jump was a four foot high fence. he glided over it like it wasnt even there. 

the next jump was what i braced myself for. a two foot high verticle oxer. i took Smokey around again. i could hear his heavy breathing, but i knew he was nowhere near tired. my breathing came into sync with his. i turned him towards the oxer and told him our saying, "ride the sky, Smokey." and he understood, because with that he did not refuse. his front hooves left the ground and i felt his hind legs push his weight forward. he jumped over the oxer smoothly, like a cloud traveling across the sky. his land was phenominal and i jept my seat.  

When all four hhoves were back on the ground, i put one fist in the air and One Direction cheered. i loped Smokey around the ring once more and stopped him in front of where the boys stood. 

"Babe, that was absolutely amazing!" Harry said. 

"you are a natural," Liam commented. 

"Smokey didnt look too bad himself," Niall sais. Smokey stomped his foot and snorted in approval. 

"Thank you so much! that felt so good! ans i think im going to do it agin. after my accident and my parents died, i thought all hope was lost. but i realized its not. i am going to show again! how about that Smoke? you want to be the center of attention again?" i asked my horse. he reared up and tossed his head around when he landed. 'I'll take that as a yes," i said patting his neck.  

'its amazing how you stay on him," Louis mentioned. 

"ehh you get used to it. C'mon. i have to cool him down." i turned Smokey to the exit. 

for the first time in almost six months i had confidence. i was proud of myself and i was going to dedicate my time to training and to Harry. its a good thing that my birthday is coming up because i could use some new show equipment. that would be the best birthday present i ever boguht for myself. i cannot wait to tell Janie about my decision.  

__________________________________________ 

(A/N) 

hope you all liked the chapter. im hoping to make the next few chapters a little more intense and dramatic.  

i dont know how many of you read this, but if you do it means a lot to me :) 

thanks! lots of love <3 

p.s. im as straight as a rainbow! hahahahaha 

oh you had to of been there....