Chapter X

It's Lexi's Birthday in three days time and Saturday couldn't be closer! There's great excitement around the house as everyone is rushing around getting presents and planning her party. She's turning 17! She's throwing one of the biggest party's that I've been to which she claims is pretty average here.

While Lexi is at work today, Luke and I decide to go shopping for her birthday present. Luke needs my help finding something for her and I need his help to show me where to go so we make a pretty good pair.

We stroll into Cotton On and I see a dress that would look absolutely stunning on her. It's a bright pink, tight-fitting dress that will hug her slim figure. There are some cheeky slits in the side revealing the tips of her stomach. And it's got a plunging neckline that will definitely bring out her wild side.

I immediately drag Luke to show him and he does admit that it will look good on her but he thinks it a little too rebellious for his innocent baby sister.

"Luke, she's not even a year younger than you! You would have died if you saw a girl wearing this last year!" I exclaim.

"Exactly! I don't want these pervs to go checking out my sister! It's just gross!" He shudders.

"Well, you gotta let her grow up sometime," I point out.

"But not so soon!" He exclaims.

"Luke she's seventeen!" We start to get odd looks from people, "Okay, here are your options. You can either hate on me for getting her this dress or you can accept it and buy her some killer shoes to match."

He looks torn, not knowing whether to give in or stand his ground. "Fine! I give in but only because I can't hate you." He adds.

Being just after Christmas, it was on sale so it was only R350. Luke and I walked around for a bit before deciding that none of these shoes would match the dress. I went to pay and then we headed to a small shoe store to go find some killer matching heels.

We don't find anything that will do the dress justice and so we keep looking. After looking through the fourth shoe shop with Luke just pointing to any random one now, we finally find the most gorgeous pair of shoes ever. They're a soft pink with 3 inch heels and Lexi will look fantastic in them.

Exhausted from our day of shopping, Luke and I go to Kauai for a smoothie. The creaminess of my Berry Dairy fills my mouth and I immediately feel myself relax.

"So, how come Lexi has a job and you don't?" I ask Luke. "Cause I save my money and she doesn't," he laughs as if he's stating the obvious.

"It's the same with my family, except with my cousin. And I save and he spends," I laugh, starting to confuse myself with the crisscrossed words.

"You're really cute when you try to explain confusing things you know," There's that deep chuckle of his again, the one that warms my heart. "You get this little crease between your eyebrows," he reaches over a strokes my face where I get the crease, "And you look down while you speak and then look up again at the end to see if I understand. It's mesmerizing."

I'm sure by now my face is almost as red as my McDonald's phone cover. I don't know how to respond to that. What do I say? He's staring right at me. "Um, thanks, I guess."

Thanks? Did I really just say thanks? Come on Mia! You can do better than that! I look him in the eyes. He's looking at me with a small smile dancing lightly on his face.

"You're overthinking this Mia," he's reading me like a book. "Stop worrying."

Silence consumed the air around us. We were looking into each other's eyes and something inside me clicked. I don't know what it was or what it will do, but I felt it. I felt what something change.

New chapter! Sorry it's been so long we're busy writing exams and I've just started a diving course so I've been studying for that all day. Hope you guys enjoy it! Don't forget to Vote and Comment!❤️