From Ashes (TGCF)

He Xuan never slept.

No, a Demon King like him couldn't be defeated by sleep, or any other thing, for that matter. He was strong and worshipped not just by ghosts by mortals as well.

Ah, mortals. These good-for-nothing mortals knew him as the Earth Master. They all worshipped him, begging him to guide them as they built bridges and houses.

He Xuan never disappointed. He granted the wishes of people before.

But not anymore.

"Fuck." He Xuan abruptly sat on his bed, nearly giving himself a whiplash.

He cursed again as he gripped his quilt, it was soft, yet it still failed to comfort him. He Xuan had been lying on his bed for a long while now. He wasn't sure what time it was at the moment. Maybe past midnight? His manor had always been dead quiet; he could never guess if it was time for normal people to get up or to head to bed.

It's futile to know anyway. There were no 'normal' mortals in Black Water Demon Lair, his domain. Any sane mortals wouldn't dare to invade this place unless they're seeking their own death. He Xuan would, of course, grant them that wish.

He's pretty generous for a Demon King. Come to think of it, what monster would keep his head low and mind his own business? It's only him. If you didn't mess with him, He Xuan wouldn't care about you.

Unless you were Shi Qing Xuan.

"Míng-xiōng!"

He Xuan froze the moment he heard that voice. It was awfully familiar to the point that he felt as though he would go crazy if he didn't hear that warm voice again.

"I see you're still awake." Fortunately, He Xuan heard the voice again. It was Shi Qing Xuan. He sighed. "Ah, tsk. Tsk. Didn't I tell you not to eat right before going to bed? Why are you such a pig!"

If this was still in the past, He Xuan would still be possessing Earth Master's body. Everyone knew that the latter was cold and a little harsh; thus, his reaction to Shi Qing Xuan's nagging would naturally be this: "Are you stupid? I'm a God, not a pig. I don't need sleep."

However, this wasn't the past. The scene playing inside He Xuan's head might be a memory, but his current response was not patterned to the past, not even to the present.

"Mm, I can't sleep. Would you stay with me for a while then?" How could he say this to the Shi Qing Xuan of the present? The Shi Qing Xuan now hated him. He would never go near He Xuan. He would rather die than spend one minute in the presence of the Demon King who decapitated his brother.

"Alright, I'll stay with you, best friend!" Shi Qing Xuan beamed as he sat on the bed, next to the startled He Xuan.

"What are you doing?" The Demon King's eyes widened. He didn't expect that the image of Shi Qing Xuan inside his head would actually listen to him.

"What? You said you wanted me to stay!" Shi Qing Xuan pouted her lips. Yeah, right. Her lips. Shi Qing Xuan, the Wind Master, didn't even bat an eyelash as he transformed into his female form.

"Yeah! But not like this!" He Xuan was losing his mind. He moved away from Shi Qing Xuan. It was highly inappropriate to sit on a bed with a woman!

Luckily Shi Qing Xuan also realized this. She smiled coyly at her 'best friend.' "Míng-xiōng! Don't you think this is a little inappropriate? Why don't you transform into a woman too?"

If the scene playing inside He Xuan's head was fabricated by him, then why couldn't he control Shi Qing Xuan? Why, even in his imagination, Shi Qing Xuan was still a pain in He Xuan's ass?