Under the Haitang Tree is Hating (and Mo Ran) (2HA)

Summary: Canonically, disciple Mo Ran had his first heartbreak when he plucked a flower for Chu Wanning, driving his shizun mad.

In this alternate universe, secretary Mo Ran had his first heartbreak when he prepared a surprise birthday party for Chu Wanning, driving his boss mad.

Pairing: CEO!Chu Wanning x Secretary!Mo Ran

Word Count: 3.9k

***

Aside from being the epitome of beauty, Mo Ran's colleagues could not find any other reason why he would be so head over heels for Chu Wanning, their boss.

Okay, that was not entirely correct. In fact, saying that Chu Wanning only had a pretty face was selling him short, for he was also unparalleled in intelligence and being passionate about everything he did.

But still, Mo Ran had some guts falling in love with the person who earned the nickname Xia Sini from the entire company (and possibly from the whole business industry)

Xia Sini, meaning 'to scare you to death," was what it felt like working under Chu Wanning. The man had a strong sense of work ethic. He did not tolerate mistakes, especially if their consequences would jeopardize the firm.

Admittedly, Mo Ran was the only one who could bear to work as Chu Wanning's secretary for a whole year, and in those three hundred sixty-five days, Mo Ran only saw his boss smile thrice. Even when Chu Wanning dealt with potential investors and creditors, his cold countenance did not waver.

Chu Wanning was always humphing and clenching his jaw. His phoenix eyes were so icy that they would freeze you right on your spot.

But in Chu Wanning's defense, he was only like this because most of his employees were:

"Incompetent!" Chu Wanning snarled while crumpling a piece of paper in his hand.

Mo Ran watched as his boss' Adam's apple bobbed, patiently waiting for Chu Wanning to calm down so he could ask if he needed him to fix whatever mistake an employee committed.

Mo Ran didn't have to wait long, though. Chu Wanning turned his glare at him.

"What was my schedule last Friday?"

Mo Ran couldn't help but flinch upon hearing Chu Wanning's rough voice. He was used to seeing his boss irritated, but Chu Wanning never directed his anger toward other people.

As far as Mo Ran knew, he hadn't done anything to offend Chu Wanning. Admittedly, he always gave his utmost service just to hear a simple 'good job' from Chu Wanning. Mo Ran's admiration for his boss was really out of this world.

"It was your birthday, Mr. Chu." Mo Ran swallowed his nerves, smiling with his deep dimple to explain the situation to Chu Wanning. "I canceled all your meetings as per—"

Unfortunately, his charming smile didn't faze Chu Wanning at all. He was even rudely cut off by his boss.

"Mo Weiyu, what did you just say?" Chu Wanning probed rhetorically. He obviously heard what the younger boy said, but Mo Ran still repeated it.

"I cleared your work-related schedule last Friday." Mo Ran's tone was gentler this time, pronouncing each word clearly. However, Chu Wanning still lost his temper.

"How could you clear my schedule without informing me!"

Chu Wanning was enraged, rendering Mo Ran speechless. The boss never raised his voice. His tone was always rough but never loud. Chu Wanning didn't have to scream because he could already intimidate someone by looking at them. The fact that he was raising his voice now only meant that Mo Ran royally screwed up.