My Heart is Six Feet Under (AOT: Eruri)

Summary:  Levi reminiscences of the time Erwin taught him to read and write.

****

Year 850:

As a member of the scout regiment, one will think Jean has been through hell and back already, and while this is true, Jean believes his life tribulations are nothing compared to heeding his captain's request.

"Oi brat," Levi kicks the chair where his subordinate is slouched.

"Captain!" Frightened, Jean stands up abruptly, his hand balling into a fist to bump it to his chest.

Levi scowls, letting out a tsk as he eyes Jean from head to toe. The younger man is making the offer your heart gesture—one that pisses Levi to no end.

Levi doesn't have the energy to berate him, though. He goes straight to the point without any preamble, "I've heard you're very good at drawing. I need you to teach me how to do it."

"Ah?" Blood rushes to Jean's cheeks as he relishes the rare compliment coming from his captain. But soon, panic seeps into his bones.

"Y-You want me to teach you to draw!?" Jean all but shouts.

How can that be? Sure, Jean can draw, but he never once taught anyone how to do it. He doesn't even know he does it. Drawing comes naturally to him. It's like asking him to teach someone how to breathe!

How the fuck does he even start?

"Why?" Levi folds his arm across his chest. His brows are already furrowed high enough to send chills down Jean's spine. "Do you have a problem with it?"

"N-No." Jean lies easily. His lower lip hurts from biting it too hard. It's the only way he can do to stop himself from answering his captain with a 'yes.' He really doesn't want to do this.

But Levi is already dismissing him.

"Very well. You may go now. Our session shall start tomorrow, right when the sun rises."

With that, Jean has no choice but to leave with slumped shoulders.

When the next morning comes, Jean finds himself running toward Levi's abode as he's afraid to be marked as late.

As he's in a hurry, Jean forgets to remove his shoes as he enters Levi's home. Of course, this left a bitter taste in the captain's mouth, but he reluctantly lets it go when he realizes Jean is doing him a favor.

Levi is a bad student—this is all Jean can say. He has no patience, expecting he'll become an expert overnight. Jean can't count how many times he's facepalmed as Levi crumples a piece of paper because of a minor mistake.

It's confirmed. Being a perfectionist and impatient are the two worst combined traits.

Jean feels the veins in his head popping because of stress.

"We've run out of paper." Jean stifles a groan, hoping Levi will take this as a hint and call it a day. They've been at it for more than half a day already. Frankly, Jean is hungry and exhausted.

"There are papers in my room," Levi responds without spearing his subordinate a glance. His eyes are trained on the paper, hands shaky as he tries to draw an eye.

Jean doesn't understand why the captain wants to learn to draw a human first. Can't he start with a fucking flower!? Or the sun!? Damn it!

"Didn't you hear me?" Levi says coldly, finally glancing at Jean. "Go get papers in my room. I need more."

"In a minute, captain." Jean gnashes his teeth, forcing himself to calm down. Perhaps it's better to leave Levi alone for a while. Otherwise, Jean will seriously lose it and will end up dead.