22. Little White Lies

As expected, maa walked in with baba, both sporting a huge smile on their faces

"Can I ask why you're smiling?" Walid asks.

"Who's this?" Baba asks, when he sees Sabir - completely ignoring Walid like the usual. I glance over to see him, finding Walid looking pissed off. Wahid didn't seem to notice much, he just carried on as if nothing happened. Maa nudges him.

"Sabir jaan, thank you for coming. I'm sorry we weren't here. I hope Eliza took care of you," maa says.

"Oh don't worry, she's been amazing," he politely replies. "Asalamuwalaikum aunty and uncle. I should get going." My parents both reply to him, as he stands up to leave. Maa gives me the see him out look. I sigh and get up.

"Follow me, I'll go get your coat." We silently walk to the entrance of the house away from the rest of my family.

"So thanks for tonight," he says as he puts on his coat. "It was nice meeting your parents." I smile.

"Thanks for coming, oh and about Eliza. It's my pet name. Bengalis tend to have pet names that everyone knows them as." Another little white lie.

"Oh, that makes sense." He says, looking at me with that same intensity as before. "What do you want me to call you?"

"Sabah is fine," I tell him firmly.

"I quite like the name Elizaa," he drags out my name, causing some weird feelings to overcome me. "It was nice seeing you after all these days. Don't stay hidden this long again."

"I can't promise anything,"

"What I was saying before, if your still up to it, I'd like for us to get to know each other better."

"Yeah that would be great," I tell him, hoping I can get back into the spying so I can fish out some info for the case. I watch him walk over to his car, giving me a wave before going in. Then i shut the door and lean against it.

"So I'm guessing you didn't invite him over?" I open my eyes and find Walid standing in front with his arms folded across his chest.

"Bhaiya, can you stop. Does it matter anymore?" I didn't want to talk to him. I had so many questions about Uzayr which he is unwilling to answer.

"Eliza I know you're mad at me, but I can't tell you,"

"Why bhaiya? Why can't you let me at least have my phone? Can you even trust me?"

"Sis, this for your own good."

"What? Locking me up in my own house with no means of communication? Do you know how long it's been since I've spoken to Sarah? And talking about her, what's up between you and her? You don't even talk to me like you used to... Bhaiya you've changed." He unfolds his arms and clenches his fists.

"It's not Sarah's fault, I'm just having a tough time. It would be a lot better if... If you could just stay out of trouble." He says, walking away from me, "oh and you're not grounded anymore. Maa has your phone incase you were wondering." With that he walks upstairs and disappears into his room. After a few minutes, I start to walk up as well when maa calls out for me.