21. I Can't Cook

The wind aggressively howls outside, revealing its deep pain to the world

The wind aggressively howls outside, revealing its deep pain to the world. Pitter, patter; the rain drums onto the window. Darkness engulfs me as I sat huddled up in one corner of my bed. My mind is a thunderstorm itself. Hitting me with lightening strikes of reality.

Why can't I remember Uzayr?

What is Wahid hiding?

I don't have the confidence to ask again. He keeps shutting me out; literally just like now. The reason to which I've been stuck inside my room is him, with my phone being taken away. I guess him and Wasim were being serious when they asked me to stop for a while.

I sigh. My mother was so happy when she heard Wahid banning me from going outside. She says that she barely sees me anymore. She's taking advantage of this and teaching me how to cook. It's been 10 days since I've met Uzayr. 6 days of university that I've missed. Who knows how much longer this will go on for.

I get up from bed and make myself down to the kitchen.

"Why didn't you sleep for another 5 hours?"

I look at the clock; 12pm.

"Awww maa, you're so right. I should go and sleep now," I say, trying to slyly get out and back upstairs.

"Come back here lady," she pinches my tight ear and pushes me into a crouching position. "100 sit ups, now!"

"But maa! This is so embarrassing."

"After each push up repeat: I will never wake up at 12pm!" I hold both my ears and start squatting, only to be hit by maa again. "I said sit ups!"

After doing ten, I find myself panting for precious oxygen. The lactic acid in my muscles were building up, causing a painful ache in my lower legs.

"Ai furi, toi oto lazy ni? Igo kitchu korto fareh nai! Ya Allah, igo re k biya korbo? Igor kali boiteh hooteh jamair aat taki mair kaibo!" [Oi girl, why are you so lazy? You can't do anything! Oh Allah, who will marry this girl? You'll get beaten up whatever you do!]

"Thanks maa, you have so much hope in me," I sarcastically say.

I spent the next hour slowly finishing my punishment, to her satisfaction.

"Eliza come and start cooking!"

"What maa? It's nearly 1:30pm. The cooking should be done by now."

"Daughter, you are cooking for this evening, the whole family will be at home tonight." She says with a smile om her face.

"I can't cook!"

She face palms herself, "what have I been teaching you for the past few days? Besides I'm here to keep an eye on you."

"I'm scared," I tell her as I see her still smiling like a crazy women.

"Don't worry dear, you'll be fine. I'm sure they'll love it!"