Frenzy

Katniss' POV

Everyone sits in our room as we wait for the videos to be released any second now. By everyone I mean Peeta, Annie, Finnick, Madge, Gale, Glimmer, Marvel, Cato, Clove, Thresh, Johanna and I. Radio stations and programmes like MTV have been bigging the release up for almost a week, even though we shot it yesterday. I'm extremely nervous for them to come out, even though everyone already knows about Peeta and I - it's been on the front page of every magazine for a week. Yet one thing is certain: Effie and Haymitch are going to kill us.

The other night we travelled outside of Panem, so our new hotel is in London. It's so dreary here, not like the drought-like weather in Panem. I begged Peeta to let us watch a musical on the South End but he said no because we have no spare time, but we will one day.

Marvel's phone goes off around 3 times in a row and slowly all of our phones start going crazy. It's out.

Everyone's hands are shaking, my palms are sweaty and my stomach feels like it's a million miles away. Maybe this wasn't a good idea. 

I look up at each of my friends sat around the room. Our facial expressions reflect fear and anxiety, but for some reason when I realise why we're all so scared it makes me laugh.

"Why are you laughing?" Glimmer asks, a squint on her face. I've told her so many times to put her glasses on, but she just won't listen. She claims that they don't suite her facial structure and that her new order of contact lenses will arrive soon. I think she'd look cute with glasses.

"Because," I utter out between a laugh. "The reason we're all so scared is because we're exposing our relationship. Why should that be such a bad thing?" 

Peeta smiles and wraps his arms around me. "You're crazy." He whispers in my ear, his hot breath sending shivers down my spine. "But I love you, dearly."

****

Luckily, or not so luckily, Haymitch and Effie have been out the whole day, so we've managed to avoid them for as long as possible.

However, when it comes to dinner, we discover they planned a night out in one of London's top restaurants to celebrate the release. I dress in a tight navy body con dress with sleeves that cover my whole arms. Peeta matches my dress with a blue tie and a white shirt with a blazer. He matches the top half with a pair of light brown chinos. I fit my suede navy heels onto my feet and we join hands before clambering down the stairs to the foyer. 

"You look absolutely stunning, Miss Everdeen." Peeta whispers as we join the others. I feel my cheeks heat up as they turn to look at us.

"Ah, looks like we're all going to the prom we never really had." Marvel declares when we all form a circle. We all chuckle and nod our heads. I don't think any of us went to prom - I had no one to go with so I just didn't bother. Besides, aside from the girls, I didn't have any friends and it would've been a laughing stock if we'd have gatecrashed the night for all the popular kids. 

It brings me happiness somewhat to know that the people that bullied me back then are now hasbeens - albeit has only been 5 years, but a lot has happened since then. I now have a following of 10,000,000 online and us girls are now classed as internet sensations, not to mention we're all dating the boys from 'the best band of the 21st century'. And where are they? Working in the local corner shop trying to get an income for their 5 year old kid. 

"Just got a text from Haymitch, they're going to meet us there." Gale justifies. We all stumble outside to the limo waiting and file in. It's cosy, but not really something I'd choose to commute in everyday, even if we were constantly being followed by the press. 

"So..." Glimmer begins. "Finnick's winning with the downloads."

We all nod. I suppress laughter when Finnick suggests that it's because of his 'fit bod'; maybe it's just because everyone was surprised the most at Annie at the end. 

"Have you read the news?" I ask, breaking the quiet chit-chat. I think back to earlier, I checked my snapchat discover and was immediately ambushed by the faces of my friends. Everyone knew, there was no way Haymitch and Effie didn't.

"Yeah." Madge replies.

"We're done for." Finnick adds.

My stomach ties itself in a knot as we pull up to the restaurant. Everyone apart from Peeta and I's faces had gone a deadly pallor tone, and I was nervous for them.

We all hop out of the limo and blinding flashes strafe me from what seems like every direction. I search for Peeta's hand for support, letting out a sigh of relief when they clasp together. Peeta and I stride over to the table Haymitch and Effie are sat at. The rest of the group are still being ambushed by the paparazzi. 

Peeta pulls out a chair for me and I quietly thank him as he sits down next to me. I look back and forth between the two sat in front of me. They look so calm, but I can see in their eyes that they know. They know.

"Are you mad at us?" I ask. 

"Not you two." Haymitch justifies. "But the others."

I slide my hand onto Peeta's leg and squeeze it slightly. I look to him and he gives me a reassuring smile. This is going to be a very long night.