Chapter 25 ~ Why Try

Carrie's POV

     Harry and I ran as fast as we could through the woods, but it was no use. The trees were endless and it felt like there was no way out. He then stopped to take a breath as I did the same.

"Was... someone following...us?" I questioned in between breaths.

"I don't know, but knowing my father, probably." He said also trying to catch his breath.

"Can't we just sit for a while? I think we'll be fine." I questioned him.

He looked around and sighed before nodding. I found a nearby tree to sit against and Harry stood in front of me with his hands on his hips.

"Well, this should be a good place to start." I said locking my fingers together.

"Start what?" Harry asked with confusion.

"To start explaining. What happened to you while I was gone? Who my parents were."

All he did was glare at me and I did the same back. He knew that I came back to not only "help" him, but to find out about my real parents.

"You promised." I told him.

He then rolled his eyes and sat beside me against the tree.

"I was a mess when you left. I pretty much got into my old habits again. Killing, drinking, and other explicit stuff." Harry explained.

"Like what?"

Harry glanced at me then looked down and shook his head. "I... hooked up with women a couple times."

"Oh, wow." was all I could say.

"It's not my fault. I've always been like that." He said looking down.

I frowned at him. I can't believe he was so... heartless. Just doing that with any woman. I wonder what happened to them? It would probably be best not to ask.

"Harry, have you ever actually been in love?" I automatically blurted out.

He looked at me and I quickly regretted what I just said.

"No, no I haven't really. The only person I pretty much ever loved was my mom." He answered truthfully.

"What about Gemma?" I chuckled.

"Oh yeah, her."

I nudged his shoulder and he started to laugh too. It was silent again and I was finally ready to ask.

"So, my parents."

"I think it'd be best if we didn't talk about that." Harry said getting up.

I then got up too. "Harry, I deserve to know."

"No, it would hurt you too much." He said as he started to walk away.

I then caught up with him. "My whole life has pretty much been a lie and I'm old enough to know now!"

"Age doesn't matter, your feelings do."

"You don't think I've been hurt enough?" I asked starting to get angry.

Harry stopped to listen to me. "Ever since I met you my life has been a living hell, but you know what? Meeting you was the best thing I could've done, even with all the pain I had to go through. You could be considered the worst person in the world, but to me you're still that sweet guy next door that I fell in love with."

Harry didn't say anything for a second, he just looked a little shocked. "You... love me?"

"I don't know anymore." I shrugged.

He paused to look away. "You shouldn't have loved me. Gray would—"

He stopped talking and I looked at him. I got him to talk!

"Who's Gray?" I asked curiously.

"It doesn't matter."

"Yes it does! Why would he care if I loved you or not?!"

"He's just a guy that I work for—"

"Work for? I thought you were a solo kind of guy?" I questioned crossing my arms over my chest.

"I-I just— Ugh! Shut up! No more! I'm not saying anything else and that's final!" Harry yelled with anger.

"Harry, calm down! I'll stop, okay!" I yelled back, trying to calm him by putting my hands on his shoulders. His breathing was now steady as we stayed silent, with my hands gently on his shoulders.

"Why did you want to help me?" He asked in a hushed tone.

I looked at him confused as I dropped my hands to my sides. "What are you talking about?"

"When you found out about me, you said you wanted to help me."

I sighed. "We've already had this talk, Harry."

"I just don't understand! Do you know what I've done? Do you know how many people I've killed? Well let me tell you this, you finding out about your parents is going to make your life a whole lot worse than it already is."

I was automatically silent. I didn't have anything to say. I really don't care at this point. I mean what could possibly be worse than finding out your an orphan at my age?

"I feel like you're just trying to scare me." I said with a laugh.

"I'm not. I just feel like you want something from me." Harry responded.

I gave him a puzzled look. "What?"

"No, Carrie obviously there's something you want from me. If you want to help a person like me then what is it?!" He yelled with anger.

I didn't know what I was saying, but the words I said just slipped out.

"Kiss me!"

He just stood there, looking at me. I was standing there with guilt and regret. You should've kept your mouth shut, Carrie!

Harry then slowly began to walk up to me. He looked down at me with his sad, green eyes. He then placed his hand on my cheek, caressing it gently. My arm started to rise and I clenched onto his shirt. We just stood there for a second, then he slowly leaned in and pressed his lips against mine.

~ YAAAAS FINALLY! IT'S BEEN SO LONG AHHHHH! Anyways enough fangirling, hope y'all enjoyed this chapter and the next one will be coming soon! ~

Btw, I called this chapter Why Try because I was listening to Ariana Grande and I thought that this song was kind of like this chapter :)