Chapter Two

At about seven o'clock I headed down the corridor to the pool we had built in the base. I had a black shirt on with jean shorts over my deep blue bikini. Suddenly, I heard my phone ring. I got it from my pocket and answered:

"Hello?" It was strange because no one answered right away, then a quick blast of a muffled voice yelled through the receiver; again, and again. "Hello?"

Then, the voice screamed again and I could just barely make out the words.

"...Twenty-one...........thirty-two...........forty-three...........Diner Four..."

That's when I realized that Diner Four was the name of the restaurant that I went to when I had the time, and when I was starving. Of course it was where the Regulars lived. I had a bad feeling about this, so I quickly ran back to my dorm, grabbed my pistol I had hidden in my drawers and ran out of the base.

*****

I reached Diner Four and walked in. Nobody. I was going to walk out and leave, but then I heard something like a thump.

Lovely.

I walked downstairs in the dark, carefully feeling every step. Then, out of nowhere, something hit me in the face. I shrieked loudly, and got to my knees, trying to get my senses back.

I started crawling down the stairs, careful to not fall face first. I crawled for what felt like five minutes minutes, then saw a tiny light coming from a closet. I got up and walked toward the closet light, then gunshots split the silence. I ducked and quickly turned, sprinting up the stairs. I heard a bullet slice it's way past me then hitting something on the wall.

I heard shouts and screams close behind. When I finally saw my escape I stopped at the top of the stairs and waited for the person to come up. Seconds past and then the person reached the last steps. Once they got up I slammed the door on them and took off. I ran down the road and tried to cross the street when a car came roaring into sight, going at least eighty miles per hour. I stood, frozen at the sight of who was driving it. It was the group everyone hated and most everyone regretted messing with them - the Talaat group.

The Talaat group was our enemy, and I hated battling them, even though we battle them all the time.

They were like a an old show on television, and you saw reruns all the time, and you become so tired of watching the same thing every time.

I realized that I had to run. It was either life or death. I sprinted toward the side walk and jumped onto the grass just as the car roared past me.

I hopped in the nearest car and thankfully the keys were still in. As I turned the key, I wondered what idiot would leave their keys in the car.

Oh, well.

I jerked backward then put it into gear. I slammed the petal and tried to catch up. They weren't going as fast as they were and I wasn't trying to go at them, I was trying to get back to the headquarters and warn everyone. The car braked to a stop and the red lights shown on the back blinded me. I squeezed my eyes shut and slammed the brakes too, almost running into the car.

A man jumped out and held a gun. I grabbed my pistol and ducked down, waiting for the glass to shatter. I heard an earsplitting noise, then realized they shot the engine.

I had nowhere to go. I jumped out of the car and looked in the darkness at the man holding up the gun. There was fog and steam due to the shot engine everywhere in the summer night. He pulled the trigger, and I fell to the ground, missing the shot. I got my gun ready, and shot at him. When I got my chance, I started running back to the base.