Chapter Five

I froze.  My heart stopped.  I was in the way of a giant bus heading my way.  I went deaf.  I didn't care about my surroundings - only my life.  It was all in slow motion.

     I jumped, with the blue sapphire in my hands I dove, onto a moving car. I slid on it's hood and made it across the road.  I turned around to see a car's windshield broken and glass everywhere. I looked down.  My leg was full of blood.

    "Oh my god."  I heard someone say.  People ran across the street. Some people just stood by their car doors.  I started walking down the sidewalk.

    "Where are you going?"  Cristiano trotted after me.

     "I'm trying to get as far away from these New Yorkers as possible." I said as I limped away from Fifth Avenue.

*****

    Later that night, I lay in Central Park, looking at what seemed like a dark bedroom. Only this was the sky; starless.  My leg was wrapped up and  Cristiano was next to me.

    It was well over three days.

    "I thought we were supposed to be back today."  I said, turning over to face Cristiano.  I had the letter in my pocket and forgot to tell him about.  I sat up and reached into my back pocket, pulled out the letter and gave it to him.

    "This is a letter I got from the HQ while I was in the box room," I said. "It came to me while I was asleep." Cristiano looked at me and read it. He looked up and stared at a nearby tree.

    "We need to try and get back."  He looked at me. "We need to leave, now."  "But you-"

    "Can." I finished the sentence.  I got up and limped to the motorcycle.  Cristiano followed me.

    Together, we rode back to The Blue Sapphire base.

*****

    We walked into the HQ, armed and ready for an attack.  Surprisingly, no Talaat group.

    "Huh, where are they?"  I said.  "We are right here."  I spun around.  Jeff and Andrea were standing behind us.

    "Did you get it?"  Jeff asked.  "Yeah. Right here."  We pulled the blue sapphire out in front of us. Andrea grabbed it and walked away.

    "Bye Via." Cristiano said as he walked to his dorm.

    "Bye."

*****

    One week later, I was walking down the corridor to my room.  Of course, I heard the faint clicking sounds of Chlorice's high heels.  I saw her veer a corner and stare at me. I stopped, crossed my arms and prepared myself for the blow.  She came up to my face and looked me straight in the eye.

    "Guess what." She said with a sly voice. "I know about your kiss, and I'm gonna share it with the whole group."  Chlorice smiled. 

    "What kiss?"  I asked. I wasn't a very good actor.  "When?"

    "Don't play dumb Via-getable, I know about your kiss with Cristiano on the mission."  She said.  I pictured Chlorice with snakes in her hair and fangs in her mouth.  Ew. 

    "So,"  I said trying to walk past her, but she stopped me. 

    "So, I'm gonna tell everyone-"

    "Because..." 

    "I threaten to tell everyone because of how you treated me...I will also think about cutting you from the Blue Sapphires."