Chapter Eighteen

I frantically searched the river for any sign of Chlorice, but I saw nothing. Amber and Indie and Maddie had ran all the way down by the waterfall to look for her. Sky and I stayed behind. We jogged back and forth, and up and down the river.

"Chlorice!" I heard Maddie scream.

I looked up by them. The had managed to grab onto her shirt, and were pulling her up. I let out a sigh of relief. I walked back to the log, and crossed gracefully, having Sky right behind me. We hopped off the log and walked over to the rest of the group, which had Chlorice sitting on the ground, catching her breath.

"Chlorice!" Sky exclaimed. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah.." She said, winded. "I...think I'm...okay."

I smiled. How many times could our group get into crazy things like this?

We walked on—keeping Chlorice warm—and kept talking about our plans.

*****

"Look!" Sky whispered as we came out of the clearing. An abandoned house, but we all knew better that that was a base. All houses that were part of a base had no driveway, no plants or trees, and only two windows, with a chimney and a front door with a cream color to it. I ran across the grass to the little cellar door on the west side of the house. Sky was with me, and she opened it. A staircase lead downward, and I started climbing. It was pitch black, and I struggled to step down without feeling the wall. Once I reached the bottom, I saw a hallway, and a glass door with lights on the other side of it.

We ran to the door, and stopped. In tiny, white writing, there was the base name. I smiled when I read the name.

We had reached home.

I was surprised at how we had found part of the base, but many of our bases stretch across the country. All we had to do was take a mini subway home. We walked in, and was greeted by the fresh scent of the spices we use to make the place smell good. When we turned a corner, a girl gasped, and stared wide eyed at us.

I was confused for a moment, but then looked at Maddie, and saw she was looked at the ground.

"She's with us," I said quickly, but the girl kept her gaze as we walked away. Our group walked to a door near the front office. As I opened the door, I saw a train sitting on the tracks, but it was only one car; one car that we needed.

We hopped on the train, and Amber, Maddie, Indie, and Chlorice took their seats as Sky and I made our way to the front. The car was a gray color, with yellow lines at the top, having poles stick out of the center. The seats were white, and the windows were rectangles on the sides. In the front, the controls weren't complicated. Jeff and Andrea made them so we didn't have to scramble with them.

They decided to make it like a regular car, with peddles and a steering wheel to go onto different tracks. There was a shift gear for going backwards and forwards and in park. Sky sat in the passenger seat, while I drove. As I started the train car, I looked behind me to see another train mysteriously appear from the back. I frowned as I hit the gas peddle and started off. Sky noticed.

"What's wrong?" She asked, confused.

I shook my head, "Nothing."

As we continued down the tracks, I looked behind me to see the train car again. I saw an upcoming sign to my right, and that split the path in two, that labeled: Base 2.

That was us. I turned into the tunnel to my right, and watched as the car kept following us.

"Sky," I whispered. "They're still following us."