Chapter Eight

I was near to crying when I heard her scream.  I tried to move my way through the dark.

    Suddenly, I felt a horrible pain in my lower left ankle.  The pain surged through my body until I fell down on the ground holding my foot.  I felt my ankle throb and my foot felt hot to the touch. The heat burned me, and I cried out. I squeezed my eyes shut and stopped myself from yelling.  The sun was just above the horizon, and I looked at my foot.  I could see drops of blood on the ground.  I forced myself to get up and run towards the girl hiding under a plane wing. My eyes got blurry; I was ready to cry.  I wanted to hold myself and crawl on the ground and huddle in a corner.  Was it Sky? Indie? Amber? No, Amber was shot, I remembered.

    I got over to a girl and fell on the ground in pain. 

    "Via!" Sky whispered.

    I groaned, and shifted over onto my side, facing her.

    "Where's Amber?" I asked groggily.

    "I don't know. Why?" She said, pulling up my pant leg to look at the wound.  I looked over at it.  My pant leg was soaked in blood, and it was running down my foot.  I winced, and sucked in some air.  Sky ripped off some of her shirt and wrapped it around my leg. 

    "Thanks." I said grunting.  I got up and started to walk away.

    "Where are you going?" Sky asked, wide eyed.

    "I'm going to fight." I said and turned around, and I started to trot to another girl I thought I recognized.

    "Amber?" I asked, whispering.

    "Yeah?" She said, sounding nearly to tears.  She was holding her arm, and I could see blood soaking through her shirt and onto her hand.

    "Amber!" I ran over to her.  I could see a piece of rag from washing on a table.  I limped over and grabbed it.  A person from the Talaat group came out and shot at me.  He missed.  I held up my gun and shot him in the face.  Blood sprayed up.  I winced.  I grabbed the rag and wrapped it around her bicep.

    "Thanks." Amber said in pain.  I ran off and saw Indie shooting a man.  She looked over and saw me.

    "I need backup!" She shouted.  A person came up and tried to shoot her, but Indie ducked and got up and fired again.  I shot a person who was behind her.  I looked up to see Cristiano and Dylan shooting from up on a balcony.  The shots rang in my ears.  I saw Chester up against three guys, who were the last of them. 

    He shot two down, but the one guy lifted up his gun.  I lifted my gun to shoot him, but I was too late.

     Chester fell down to the ground as I shot the man.  I saw blood come out of his mouth.  I ran over to him. 

    So did everyone else.

    "Chester!" I heard Indie cry.  She knelt down next to him and held his head.  I kneeled down next to her.  Everyone else formed a circle around him.   

    "We can fix him, right?" Indie wept, with big tears rolling down her cheeks.  I lifted up his shirt to look at the wound.

    "He could be dead!" Sky said.

    "Of course he could be, but he'll live, right?" Indie said with a shake in her voice.  I looked at the bullet hole in his chest.  Blood was oozing out all over the floor and onto his stomach.  There was some blood in his mouth.

    "He was hit right under the lung. The bullet just missed the diaphragm." I said and looked at Indie, "He has a chance of living." She looked at me and wept.