Chapter Nine

Sky stood next to me as we pushed against the current, trying to catch the girl.  She was slipping farther away from him.  Finally, she fell, and with all our weight, we caught her.  She gasped.

    "Who are you?" She said sucking air. 

    "Lifesavers." Sky said smirking.  We carried her onto the path and set her down.  The girl's boyfriend came rushing down the path.

    "Hey, why you have to ruin all the fun?" He asked Sky and I,  "I was about to jump in with her." 

    "Clearly you don't care enough about her," I said,  "He doesn't care about you a whole lot, other wise he wouldn't've let you fall." The girl gave a look at him.  He held up his hands like he was innocent. 

    "Ha!" Sky said, "Nice try pretty boy."  The girl smirked and walked up the path.

    "Thank you very much!" She waved at us.  She flashed us a mischievous look.   The boy walked up next to her.

    "Sorry," he laughed.

    "No you're not," said the girl.

    "Huh?" asked the boy.

    "At least you will be after this." The girl said and pushed him off the path.  The boy fell into the river and got soaked.  We all broke into laughter except for the boy.  The girl waved and said thanks again.  Then, I recognized her face. 

    Was she from the Talaat group?  No.  But I knew she had to have been from the Blue Sapphires.

    "Amanda?" I asked.  She turned around.

    "Uh...Yeah.  Who are you?" she asked with confusion.  Amanda was a former spy.  She was in the same group with me when we were kids.  We trained together all the time.  Then, when we graduated to teen spies, she left. At fourteen, everyone though it was suicide; until now.

Amanda had caramel colored hair, and freckles were spotted across the bridge of her nose. She had dark brown eyes, and long eyelashes.

    "What're you doing here?" I asked her.

    "What are you talking about?" Sky whispered.

    "I'm Via, this is Sky...Remember?" I asked.  Amber moved her head to the side to look at us better.  A smile crept up onto her face.

    "Via! Sky!" She exclaimed.  She ran over and hugged us.

    "Hey." Said Sky.  We chatted by the bridge until the boy came up and pushed Amanda.

    "You push me? I push you." He said.  The boy started pushing her to the road and by the bridge.

    "Help!" Screamed Amanda, struggling to keep her balance. The boy held her by the neck and laid her on the bridge, to have her head dangle off the ledge.  I pulled out my gun.

    "Stop right there, mister." I said to him, pointing the gun at his face.  I saw Indie and Amber suddenly stop at the edge of the bridge, just arriving, and held up their guns too.

    "You're surrounded.  No going home without a fight." Amber told him.

    "My name's not mister, it's-" he got cut off.  Sky walked up to him and held the gun on his temple. 

    "She said, we are not going home without a fight.  Am I clear?" She said; teeth clenched.

    "Hell, no," he protested, "I can beat girls anytime I want to, they're weaklings."  I raised my eyebrows.