ordinary.

A/N:
I realized that people actually care about this book.
So I decided to keep writing.
But I think i'm going to start writing clexa and octaven AU one shots.
-----

Our story is really nothing special.

Really, it's quite ordinary.

There are no tragedies, outrageous acts of romance.

Neither of us are vampires, or cancer patients or orphans or wolves or superhuman mutants created in a lab.

This isn't a dystopian society.

Lauren and I are human.

This is 2016.

And we fell in love.

It was my first year of high school. At our school, the transition from the middle school to the high school was a big deal, as if migrating across a parking lot symbolized some sort of triumphant evolution from adolescence to adulthood. It was seen as an exciting change, a happy change. For most people.

But not for me.

All my life, I had dreaded change. Something as insignificant as a shift in the clouds can throw off my day. Waking up two hours early, riding a different bus home and being put in a whole new environment with completely foreign students and teachers? Forget about it.

Once my mother had managed to convince me to leave the car, ushering me out with a chaste kiss on the forehead and an encouraging squeeze of my forearm, she drove out of the school parking lot.

I looked across the lot to the middle school. I wanted nothing more than to run through the doors of the familiar building, back to the familiar teachers, familiar students, familiar bus.

I took a deep breath and turned to look at the building in front of me.

I convinced myself that everything would be okay as I made my way through the glass doors to the school.

I swallowed the lump in my throat as I looked down at my hands and opened the door to the next 4 years of my life.

Even the door handles are different.

----

I looked around the cafeteria, standing awkwardly with my fits anxiously clenched at my sides. Inside the room there were three horizontal rows of long rectangular lunch tables, four vertical. My eyes scanned each one, looking for an empty seat.

In the center row, third table, I spotted a girl with long, raven locks of hair. Her back was turned but I assumed she was eating lunch, as most would do in a cafeteria.

I slowly made my way over to the table to find the girl picking at a sandwich with bologna, cheese and what appeared to be mayonnaise.

When she spotted me walking towards her, she looked like a deer in headlights. I averted my gaze to my feet as I approached her table.

"Is this seat taken?" I mumbled shyly, earning a timid shake from the girl's head.

I slid into the bench and looked up, the girl had the most breathtaking green eyes. Her eyebrows furrowed as her fingers worked to peel off the crust of her sandwich.