IX - The Weirdest Cricket Match.

"And if you like midnight driving with the windows down, Baby I am perfect for you."

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

••| Chapter 9 |••

Playlist: Vele - Student of the Year.

Eleana:
Our gang of twelve met each other at our usual hanging out or bunk spot that was the cafeteria of the college and the best thing about it was that it was only for the students. No teachers were allowed there. Our group was a huge one now.

1. Aryan also known as Aru or AK like the girls called him.
2. Eleana also known as Elly
3. Varun also known as Veedee.
4. Shraddha also known as Shradz
5. Kabir also known as Bunny
6. Naina also known as Chashmish [Nerdy]
7. Ashar also known as Ash
8. Khirad
9. Osman also known as Obi
10. Maya also known as Mayu
11. Ricky also known as Rick
12. Alia also known as Alu

Today was the friendly cricket match and there was absolutely no need to make a team as we were a team ourselves, already. Aryan replaced Kabir as the captain for Cricket match after the basket ball match. We were sitting at our usual table in the cafeteria, a huge round table for twelve. Alia, Rick, Obi and Maya were Freshmen. Bunny and Naina were Juniors, Ashar and Khirad were the seniors, Most Seniors. While VD, Shradz, Aru and I were Sophomores. Despite the difference in our ages, all of us got along like long lost buddies.
I was so grateful at that point in my life. After having our usual chatting and bickering, we changed into our kits for the match. We all went to the ground with the guys usual chatting, ranging from sports to girls. They could just discuss random shit and laugh like idiots. Our captain Aryan was called for the toss. He won the toss and chose to field first. The match began and the opponent team was playing really good. Aryan set the field and VD was bowling the first over. It was a maiden over. The match continued and after 15 minutes our field looked like there was some kind of carnival going on. Rick who was keeping the wickets was occasionally nudging the slip fielders and second slip fielders. He would run from side to side. He pushed Alia with his shoulder and she fell on her butt. He laughed so hard at that and seeing him laugh like idiots, even I couldn't suppress my giggle. They looked so cute. Then, my gaze shifted to VD. He was playing his own games with Shradz. He had his arms around her waist and she was enjoying it. Ever since these guys had made their relationship public, they started anywhere and everywhere. Besharam Kaheen bhi shuru ho jatey hain yaar.

Then, on the opposite side, there was a glaring competition going on between Obi and Maya. Obi had stolen Maya's fries in the cafeteria as she was busy in talking with Alia and Naina. She kept whining all day. Obi promised to get her a bucket of fries but still there was no progress. She called him her favourite term Kutta [Dog] and huffed. This girl and her obsession with Kuttas [Dogs] was for real.

I'm gifting her a puppy on her next birthday I swear.

Kabir was whispering something into Naina's ear and she was giggling. I had a doubt that they had a thing. The only sober one was Ashar because his secret crush that was Khirad was the 12th player. We all knew about his crush on her except that Dumbo herself. He had a crush on her for four years now. He told us that he was going to propose her on the prom night. We were happy and kept his idea confidential. I could smell a wedding soon because apparently Khirad also seemed to like him but never admitted, being too shy.

Back to the field, I saw Aryan who was rolling his eyes at his team and rubbing his hand through his hair in frustration. He was bowling the 17th over now. He made eye contact with me and we both giggled. One advantage of having a best friend was that you didn't need tongues to communicate. He rolled his eyes and smiled. Then he started bowling. The batsman of rival team hit a flying shot that was going backwards. Three players that included Rick, our wicket keeper, Kabir and Obi ran to catch it. But three of them bumped into each other and fell on their butts. In the mean time, VD reached there and finally caught it. We all hi-fived.
Apparently, our male version of drama queen, Obi had hurt his shoulder and Khirad came in as a substitute fielder. The final over was being bowled by Kabir. The batsman hit a very fast and flying shot that was at a very low height. Aryan dived in an attempt to catch it. He caught it but injured his hand badly. We all ran towards him. He groaned closing his eyes. Kabir and VD helped him towards the dug out. Obi had iced his shoulder so he came back to field instead of Aryan. The innings ended with a total of 139 runs. We had to score 140 in 20 overs. The innings break was a bit longer because Aryan was having difficulty in gripping the bat. But then, he changed the batting order. Rick and Obi were sent as openers. Rick was so busy in checking himself out on big screen that he didn't notice Obi shouting from other end for a run and Rick was run out for a duck. Kabir replaced him. He played some good shots but their partnership ended with Obi being bowled out for 10 runs. Next went Naina. This girl was obsessed with proving herself right. She even hit a six. We girls cheered loudly for her. Kabir was playing beautifully until he got unlucky and the opponent team's fielder caught a brilliant catch. We sent VD next. In the meanwhile Naina got out. Aryan was now ready to go. He put on his gloves and pads and left for the field. He and VD made a good partnership of 50 runs but VD being VD played a stupid shot in over confidence and got out. Ashar was the next one to go. He and Aryan played some excellent shots all around the field. Finally the desired total was reached and our team won. Aryan remained not out with 69 runs and Ashar with 50 runs. We all ran to the ground and engulfed them both in a group hug. Aryan and Ashar shared the Player of the match award.