Words [Judy's POV]

Consider this as a continuation of Approval, which I know was written ages ago, but just with the alternate ending that Judy's parents don't like Nick.

~*~

They hated him. After all the excitement and hope that Nick felt, they hated him. And I felt as if the blame was all on my shoulders. I told him it would be ok, that my parents would like him, but they didn't, and they were so horrible to him.

Now, I was sitting in the middle of a grassy meadow on my parent's carrot farm, my legs open as I played with strews of grass in between them. My ears sat all droopy on top of my head as I held a daisy in between my thumb and forefinger, watching as the wind blew the petals straight off of it.

Sighing, I heard footsteps behind me, but didn't bother turning around as I knew it was Nick. It certainly wouldn't be my parents, as they didn't seem to care when they insulted Nick, so why would they care about me now?

Silently, Nick sat down behind him, stretching his legs out on either side of me as he wrapped his arms around my waist from behind, resting his head on my shoulder.

Warmth overcame my body as I snuggled back into his chest, the fur on his arms soft and relaxing. His whiskers tickled my cheeks as he held me securely.

Right then was where I longed to be. I just wanted Nick to hold me forever, as his embrace spoke a million words. I wanted his comfort, his warmth, his compassion, his love...but obviously my parents didn't want me to have that. At least not with Nick...

Tears blurred my eyes as I replayed the taunting words my parents said when they first saw Nick, my father's especially.

"He's a fox, Judy! How could you stoop so low?"

"He's not good enough for you, sweetie. Why would you go down that road?"

But the words that hurt me the most were the last ones I heard before I stormed out. And of course they would come from my father. My mother would never say something so cruel and vile, even if Nick was a fox.

"Look at him, you can just tell he doesn't love you! Even I can see that it's all a big charade to harm you!"

At that point, I had had enough. Then, tears of anger blurred my eyes, but now tears of sadness filled them. I sniffled as one rolled down my cheek, and Nick immediately hugged me tighter, applying a soft kiss to my cheek.

"Don't worry about them, Carrots, their words don't have an effect on me," he reassured, rubbing his nose on my cheek gently.

"But they have an effect on me..." I whispered, more tears rolling down my face.

"Well they shouldn't," Nick insisted, kissing my cheek again. "Their words aren't going to change how I feel about you, Judy. Nothing will."

I sniffled as a sob escaped my mouth, and Nick turned me around so that I was facing him. He then wrapped his arms around me in a long, tight hug, and I wrapped my arms around his neck, crying into his shoulder.

"Tell me something, Nick," I sobbed. "Do you love me?"

I felt Nick stiffen against me, and I knew I had hit something.

"Of course I love you," he replied softly. "The better question is what's there not to love about you? You're smart, courageous, beautiful - everything I've ever wished for, and more. And I'm telling you this now, a couple of dumb bunnies aren't going to change any of that. Sorry I called your parents dumb, by the way."

I giggled slightly, and buried my face into Nick's neck, inhaling the oh-so familiar scent of him. Everything about him made me feel at home, made me bring back memories of the past. His emerald green eyes brought back the memory of when I found a four leaf clover in our back garden, and he payed me twenty dollars for it just because he wanted some luck.

His green Hawaiian shirt brought back the memory of when I accidentally mixed it up with the darker clothes and it came out with smudges of black and navy blue smeared all over it. The half-lidded look on his face was priceless, and it was all worth it even if it meant having to buy him another one.

So what if my parents didn't like Nick. They weren't the ones spending the rest of their lives with him. It was hard to deny, but Nick and I were inseparable, even at work we couldn't stay away from eachother, and that was just the way I liked it.

~*~

*cue anime tears* 😭