Chapter 2: "You're So Oblivious"

L U K E

•EDITED•

I didn't understand what she saw in him.

Yes, Calum is my best mate, but he knows I've had my eye on Lori for a long time. He knew what I wanted, and yet he swept her away.

Interrupting my thoughts, Lori tapped my wrist. "Would you pass me that beaker?" She asked, referring to the beaker next to me. It was filled with some blue liquid, which I couldn't care less about.

"Yeah of course," I said, passing it to her. She smiled at me and continued with our work.

The warning bell rang for us to clean up, so we gathered all of our supplies, dumped the chemicals out of the beakers and test tubes, and packed all of our stuff up. The bell rang and Lori walked out of class first, before me.

I only had to walk a little bit faster to catch up to her, me being blessed with long legs and all. I walked next to her and she looked up at me. "Hey Luke. Did you get the homework written down?" She asked. I nodded, but in reality I had no idea what the homework was. Using my special vision, I quickly looked back at the board in science. It read "Read pages 233-240 and take notes." I told her the homework and she thanked me, speeding off before I could say another word.

God damn, that girl was fast.

L O R I

I walked into third period; math. There were no assigned seats and the only one left was next to Ashton, another one of Calum's friends. I sighed warily and put my stuff inside the desk before sitting down.

"Hello class," our teacher, Ms. Winters, greeted cheerily. "Today we'll be reviewing equations for your upcoming quiz. As you know, the end of the school year is approaching in a few months, and I have to make sure you know all the material we've learned throughout the school year." Some people groaned, some people cheered, but all I know is that the class as a whole made some noise. I, on the other hand, stayed silent. I couldn't care less if we went over the material again, math was my easiest subject.

She began talking about how to do a one-step equation or something, but of course I already know how to do that. Ms. Winters wrote on the board and I copied down the problems, finishing them in less than a minute.

I lounged back in my chair as she went over the problems and looked over at Ashton, who was concentrating on something in his notebook. He wasn't writing down notes, more like a song or something.

"What are you writing?" I asked quietly. Ashton jerked his head up, surprised. "Oh nothing, just a bit of lyrics for a song. Would you like to read them?" He asked, holding up the notebook. I was about to reply yes when our teacher looked pointedly at us. I quickly pushed Ashton away and paid attention to the board.

Not too long later, the bell rang for us to leave. I stood up and grabbed my things, walking out to my locker. The period coming up was study hall, and I was really excited. Well, also nervous. Nervexcited? Whatever emotion I was feeling, it made me start to wonder, what did I see in Calum? I shrugged off the thought carelessly and grabbed a few books and my phone, in case he wanted to use my music.

I quietly walked down the stairs and rushed to the library, spotting Calum in the back. I made my way back to the table he was at and seated myself next to him. He already had a small cache of books surrounding him.

"Did you bring your phone?" I asked. He tilted his head, then as the gears clicked, he smacked his forehead. "Ah no, I forgot! Did you bring yours?" I nodded and pulled my phone from my pocket, flashing it to him. He nodded and pulled a book out of one of the few piles he had.

"How cliché, The Fault in Our Stars," he chuckled, showing the cover to me. I had never read the book nor watched the movie. "Is it good?" I asked. He shrugged. "It's alright, I guess. Quite a tear jerker, but me being the 'man' I am, I couldn't let anyone see me cry." He chuckled and gently tossed it back on the table, leaning back in his chair.

I bit my lip nervously and unlocked my phone, opening the music app. I selected 'Small Things' by Blink-182 and Calum's face lit up.

"This song," he said dramatically, "is the best thing to ever exist ever." I rolled my eyes and pulled another book out of a pile. Unsurprisingly, it was Harry Potter. A classic book, in my opinion. Calum looked over at me.

"A fine work of art, honestly. Have you read the books before?" I shrugged. "Only the first few. Whoops," I said helplessly, throwing my arms up in defeat.

Calum clicked his tongue at me disapprovingly. I pushed him lightly. "Don't be rude, Calum. Sorry I didn't follow readers etiquette!" Calum laughed and rolled his eyes. "I didn't even say anything! You just got all defensive." I shrugged and he made a suggestive face. "You're gonna give me that attitude, wow, okay." He pouted and I smiled slightly.

"Okay, fine. I'm sorry for pushing you." He pointed to his shoulder. "Kiss it to make it feel better?" I laughed and leaned closer to kiss his shoulder, but he quickly tilted my head up and I ending up brushing my lips on the corner of his mouth.

"What was that for?" I asked, blushing furiously. Calum shrugged. "I didn't mean to," he said innocently. I raised an eyebrow and he looked down. "Okay, maybe I meant to do that." I laughed and took his hand, causing him to look up at me. "It's fine, Calum. I couldn't care less if you kissed me, or if you made me kiss you."

Calum smirked and wiggled his eyebrows. "Then I'll make sure to kiss you more often." I giggled and he blushed before going back to reading. I checked the time on my phone, the bell would ring for next period in twenty (one pilots) minutes.

"Im gonna use the restroom," I said, getting up. Calum nodded and I left, walking into the hall. I saw Michael leaning on a wall by the guys restroom. I decided to walk towards him.

"Lori, what are you doing down here? Oh wait, don't tell me. You're on that book date with Calum?" I nodded and he sighed. "Whatever, your loss. I could give you so much more, but it's whatever."

I frowned. "Michael, I can.. Give you a chance, if that sounds okay," I said quietly. Michael nodded, perking up a bit. "Yeah, okay. Tomorrow." I raised an eyebrow. "Tomorrow what?" Michael snickered. "You're so oblivious, it's adorable. I meant tomorrow as in we're going out, tomorrow."

I swallowed hardly. It's not like I had any plans, and today was Friday, so...

"Yeah. Tomorrow. Pick me up at 7."

Michael smiled. "Make it six."

*****

So I just got done writing the plot for this book. It's supposed to be about 66 chapters, but that's my estimate if I don't change anything.

I know I say this a lot but I'm actually really excited for this book! I have set deadlines for when each section of chapters should be finished. The last one should be finished by January but of course I set the deadline of this book to be finished in February. It is 66 chapters and that'll take me a while to finish.

Now that we have that out of the way, I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Comment any questions here ^.^

~Liz 💙