Chapter 15: Fifty shades of nope

It had been a week since I last talked to Wolfe. Wolfe had been ignoring me and I too had kept my distance as Barbie was not happy he invited me to sit on his table. It felt weird not sitting with him and his pack and feeling protected. I mean even though I'm still part of Barbie's gang, it didn't seem like enough protection. The Triple X girls are capable of anything. 

It was lunch time and I was in the kitchen, working my day shift. I was peeling potatoes when Barbie brought in an unfamiliar package. I watched her carefully as she slipped out several miniature bags of what seemed to be filled with marijuana. I knew what Barbie and the rest of the gang were doing was wrong, but it was their way of surviving. However it did not stop me to think of the worst. What happens if we were caught? My time would be lengthened for who knows how long. I couldn't risk that.

I decided to open my already big mouth.

"Barbie, can I talk to you for a sec?" I asked her as I put my peeler and potato down on the cutting board.

She rolled her eyes and sighed before walking over to me.

"Look, are you sure you wan't to continue doing this? You risk staying in here for a shit load of time. I mean sure, sneak and trade in goods that commissary doesn't offer, like phones or iPods or candy, but drugs? It's too risky." I whispered to her. 

She looked at me with her eyebrows raised and didn't reply for a good thirty seconds.

"Look hunny, I know you think you know everything just because you came from a well off family.  But I have been in this shit hole for a lot longer than you have and I've never been caught. I know what I'm doing. This is the way we gained our power, and this is our survival for when we get out of here. We don't all have loaded parents to rely on when we are out. So in all honesty, it's none of your concern." She spat before walking back to her package, placing it in a drawer and locking it. As she did this, she gave me a cold look before walking off and leaving me to continue peeling the potatoes for dinner.

I sighed in despair. I felt like I had gotten myself into something I couldn't get out of. I feel like I'm in danger twenty four seven. Not just because I could get caught any minute with drugs, but because I know the Triple X girls are out to get me whenever they can.

And now Wolfe and I are keeping our distance so my safety blanket has been snatched off me.

Once my shift was over, I put myself a plate of food and sat with Barbie and some of her gang for lunch. I sat in silence as I zoned out from the chatter around me. 

As I sat there mindlessly eating away, I felt some one staring at me. I shrugged the feeling off but as it lingered on, I looked up to reveal Seth standing near the bin looking straight at me. As we made eye contact, I quickly looked away as I felt my cheeks become hot. I then took my last bite and walked over to the bin.

"Hey Jaedyn." Seth shy-fully greeted before clearing his throat.

"Hey." I replied weakly.

"Are you okay? You seem off today." He asked with a worried look.

"Oh it's nothing you know. Just having a bad week." I replied hastily as I leaned on the wall, adjacent to Seth.

"If you ever need to talk, you know I'm here." He reassured before giving me a smile and walking off.

I knew he couldn't talk for long because people watch and assume things. Exactly like high school.

Since I had the full view of the cafeteria, I took this opportunity to peer over at Wolfe's table, making sure not to make any eye contact.