Hide saving Partners

Waking up to being engulfed in flames was one of the scariest moments in my life, until i realized it probably was going to be the norm for me the rest of my youth.

I started straight for the bathroom to continue with my regular schedule of stuff. Like showering brushing my teeth etc. I glanced at the duffel bag still full of clothes. I grabbed my outfit and threw on my pants and tank top while tieing the jacket to my waist. I checked in my mirror before leaving.

Looking good nova... As usual

I opened my door. Submerged in a dark hallway and emptiness. My only source of light was the crack in my door revealing the blazing fires roaring inside.

What time is it? Shouldnt everybody be up?

As if in synchronized with my thoughts, axle creeped out of his room. Only to seem just as suprised as i was in the empty hallway. I shrugged at him as he tip toed closer.

"Where is everybody?"

"No idea"

We whispered. We both crept down the steps. It was clearly morning. Seeing as no one else was awake i considered going back to sleep myself.

"Your hair" axle said bluntly nearly scaring the crap out of me.
"Yeah what about it?"
"You cut it" he seemed a little bit awkward at the moment. But i appreciate him trying to make small talk.

"Its more manageable like this" i grabbed at my short hair. Then the house was covered once again in silence.

A banging at the front door made the both of us jump. Axle and me opened it meeting a very angry older guy.

"You may be higher ups but you still need to get up on time!!" he yelled directly in our faces. Grabbing our collars he pulled us outside dragging us through the dirt while we tried to keep up beside him.

He threw us in a mud puddle, which lets be honest wasnt necessary by any means. He stared us down as we picked ourselves off the wet ground. Then glared at us for a second as if he was going to say something.

"Well?!" he yelled at us.

"Well what?!" i yelled back. Meeting his stare.

"Are you two ever gonna shake on it?!"

We looked at each other quizzically.

"Shake on what?" axle asked embracing for another round of screaching.

"Your partner ship off course" he said in a surprisingly soft town.

"Partnership?" we asked together as we looked each other up and down.

"Even the strongest warrior needs someone to save his hide" he grabbed at his pocket and took out a box of cigarettes.
He stuck one in his mouth and looked us down again.

He didnt light it, does he expect.... No

"Do you want me to get that for you?" i asked, he just looked at me again as if he didnt believe i could do anything out of the ordinary.

Then he brought out his own lighter. That for me was just like a insult. I glared at him for a second before he started to glare back.

"Well?"

"Oh! Oh yeah!" axle jumped, he was just as distracted by this guys rudness than i was.

Axle reached out his hand toward me "Nova, will you be my hide saving partner?"
I smirked and shrugged at the gesture. But i took his hand.

*flash*

we both turned to see mell and the others with a camera.

"This goes straight on the shelf"

God damnit, mell