Chapter Eight

I'm surprised the teacher didn't care of my absence, she was too busy organizing a pile of papers. This was a perfect chance to take advantage of my invisibility, shuffling through a couple desks to get to my own in the far back.

After sitting down, I buried my face into my arms and waited for the bell to ring. Sure, it was probably useless going back for the last five minutes of class, but I guess I shouldn't have risked security chasing after me and Byungjoo.

It felt so much more than five minutes, but the bell rang on schedule.

Off to Mr. Kim Taeyang's class, also known as, the cool teacher class with the cute popular kid that I clearly stand no chance of.

Rushing there wasn't the smartest idea, since someone raised their foot and tripped me in the hallway. I collapsed into a set of lockers, scraping the metal against my covered cheek and the sleeve of my sweater. It got caught on a sharp edge, but I didn't know until it was too late. The material already tore, people laughing as they walk by like it's the funniest thing they've ever seen.

This day just continues to get better and better.

Arriving there with a ripped sleeve being held in place by my free hand, Mr. Kim must've noticed. He jolted up from his desk and hurriedly walked over, stopping me before I could get to my seat.

"Hansol, what happened?"

I shook my head, it was too embarrassing to tell. When glancing around the room nervously, I suddenly locked eyes with Byungjoo from across the room. His eyebrows knitted together, holding his hand out, like the gesture of asking something. My eyes drifted back to Mr. Kim, finding such an enlightened smile.

"Go to your seat and relax, okay?" I sighed through my nose, bowing my head as I passed by staring teenagers. Their eyes were following me; I guess I drew too much attention to myself.

I sat down at my usual desk, keeping a firm grasp over the tear of my sweater. Byungjoo scurried over, resting his elbows on the wooden surface, "What happened?" I shook my head the same way I did to Mr. Kim. "Bullshit, tell me what's up." Ugh, why do I have to make things so obvious?

"Someone tripped me in the hall and I fell into the lockers, in the process I kind of, um ..." My voice trailed off. I didn't need to finish, he seemed to understand by the little information given. His hand was over mine while he gave me an intent look for a 'go ahead'. He's probably wanting to see the tear.

I nodded and watched as he carefully moved my hand away, analyzing the torn sleeve. I was only a bit uncomfortable by the fact my upper arm was showing, able to reveal some old, and some new, scars. Byungjoo was ignoring them though, which led me to surprise.

"Wow, that's a decent slash. What the hell did you even do?" My cheeks grew warm as I gulped anxiously. How am I supposed to tell him that I didn't realize I was stuck? What if he finds that weak or stupid? Maybe he's thinking I was weak and stupid in the first place, for being fooled so easily.

"Um," I fought against the lump in my throat, "it got caught on a corner." Byungjoo chuckled.

"Well, you sure fucked up." I looked to the side in shame, hearing him stop his giggles, "Ah, don't be like that. I was only kidding."

It was a long period, probably because Byungjoo and I didn't speak much afterwards. When the bell finally rang, I was ready to run out and get home as fast possible, to switch sweaters and wallow in my depression that was slowly building it's way back. Instead, I felt a hand grab onto my wrist, pulling me back.

"Hansol," it was Byungjoo, "do you not like me or something?"

Oh God, oh God, oh God.

I turned around quickly, smiling awkwardly beneath my mask, "Of course not, I just–"

"Then why are you avoiding me?"

"What do you mean 'avoiding you'?"

Byungjoo opened his mouth to speak, but quickly shut it. He let go of my wrist, his arm dropping to his side. "Nothing, it's fine." He mumbled, walking past me.

My eyes began to burn and my wrists ached for loose blood. I needed to go.

I darted past Byungjoo and Mr. Kim, not bothering to look at them as I disappeared from the classroom. My mind was set on my house, and my house only.

- - - - - -

asdfsçkpòsdk HANSOOOOL