Epilogue

Graduation was always so boring.

I waited for Hansol to finally get the podium, and listened carefully to his small speech.

"Although," he inhaled and closed his eyes, "I never had an actual family to make proud, I ... I made friends this past year that I know will always be there to support me." I watched him glance somewhere and he made a surprising comment. "A special shout out to a few. My stepfather, I wish for you to be there for me, like my father couldn't have."

I was almost sent to tears when he said the next statement. "Kim Byungjoo, thank you for never giving up on me."

That afternoon, our friend group went to see a movie and then out to dinner. I couldn't stop smiling at the fact Hojoon and Hansol were having a great time, Jiho sparking up stupid jokes, Sehyuk and Hyosang actually being chill with the outcasts, and ... oh, it was like heaven.

Not as much as heaven was that night, though.

"What is it?"

"Close your eyes and count to ten."

"Okay."

When he opened his eyes that was my cue to begin.

When I was younger I saw my Daddy cry,

And curse at the wind.

He broke his own heart and I watched,

As he tried to reassemble it.

And my Mama swore,

That she would never let herself forget.

And that was the day that I promised,

I'd never sing of love if it does not exist.

But darling,

You are the only exception.