1- Alex

The knife I held in my grip felt familiar, like an extension of my gloved hand. I kept it by my side as I walked through the hallway of the apartment building, stopping at 2b. There was only a wooden door separating me from my target.

The hallway was short, the walls white and bare. There were only three units on this floor. A faded floral carpet ran the length of it and a plastic leafy plant sat at the end. All was quiet, as it should have been at eight o'clock on a Tuesday night.

Pressing my ear against the door, I could hear faint sounds coming through. Water from the tap filling a pot. The click of a propane stove igniting. Loud footsteps approaching and moving further away, a rhythm, almost as constant as the rise and fall of my chest.

Then he was in another room.

I reached into my pocket for the lockpicking device. I had his door open in seconds before slinking inside. The pot of water was boiling on the stove. I moved past the kitchen and stood beside the bathroom, my eyes fixed on the sliver of light protruding from underneath the door. I waited, knife still in my grasp, anticipating the opening of the door.

When it did, I didn't hesitate. The 200 pound man didn't have time to react before I stabbed the four inch blade between his upper ribs. He let out a loud roar and turned to me, face red from pain or anger. Or both. He took one weak swing at me before I tackled him onto the linoleum floor.

He stilled once the knife was pressed against his throat. I gave him a minute to look me over. To take in the brown hair tied in a tight bun. The green eyes that once had more life in them. The curve of my cheeks and jaw that should be familiar to him.

Finally, recognition.

"You."

I smirked. I gave him one last moment to take it all in before I slid the knife across his carotid artery. Blood spilled all over. Onto the floor, onto my hand, into his clothes. It didn't bother me as much as it did before.

I climbed off of his lifeless body and turned off the stove. Then I washed my knife under the sink, put it back on in the leather sheath attached to my hip, and walked out.