25- Lily

I was reading when the timer went off. I placed the book face down on the red couch before hopping up and sashaying into the kitchen. After extinguishing the heat of the stove and stopping the incessant beeping, I opened the door. My french fries and soy nuggets were ready.

I pulled out the pan with an old oven mitt and set it on the gas burners. Grabbing a plate from the white painted cupboards, I scooped up the hot food and plated it. I almost took the time to arrange the shoestring fries into a log-cabin structure but thought better of it when my stomach rumbled. After decorating the white plate with a couple dabs of ketchup, I brought it into the living room and set it on the wooden ottoman.

My phone dinged in my pocket as soon as I sat down. I quickly checked the screen, disappointment washing over me when I realized it wasn't my father finally texting me back. It was a friend from school asking what the homework was for the weekend. I shot her a quick reply before turning on the television.

Dad didn't arrive until ten o'clock that night. By then, I'd cleaned up the kitchen and changed into my pajamas. I was still on the couch, my hands holding a book instead of the remote.

"Bout time." I commented as soon as he walked through the door. He shrugged off his brown leather jacket and hung it on the coat rack next to the door. Then he stepped out of his boots and placed his briefcase on the entry table.

"I'm sorry, Lily. It was a long day." Dad said with a frown.

"You have a lot of those."

Dad sat next to me on the couch, his white button down shirt untucked and wrinkled. "Have you packed up for tomorrow?"

I frowned. "No. I don't get why we even have to move."

"Work's crazy and I can't stand to leave you home so much."

"So quit."

"I can't."

"Why not?"

Dad sighed. "It's not that simple."

"I think it is."

"We're leaving tomorrow, Lily. End of discussion. I've already talked to the school and they said you're all set to start halfway through sophomore year."

"I'd rather stay here. With my friends."

"No. Start packing." Dad stood up and disappeared into the bathroom. The shower turned on a minute later and I sighed, realizing there was no winning. I'd tried and failed several times already. His mind was made up. I closed myself off in my room and blasted current hits on my speaker. I didn't have much to pack. My wardrobe was small enough that I could fit every item in a suitcase. I didn't bother with folding. I pulled the articles out of the drawers and shoved them straight into the large bag, stuffing it and zipping it closed. I moved onto my books next, placing those in a box along with random picture frames I had scattered around.

There was one that caught my attention. My mother. It was my favorite photo of her, one I kept right by my bed. She was wearing a white cotton dress with thick straps and a flowy skirt, twirling around in a field of flowers. The sun was bright that day, accentuating her tan skin and adding even more glow to her smile. My dad told me she used to be a Greek model. I didn't doubt it for a second with her rail-thin, super tall body. What struck my attention most was the light in her eyes. How much optimism and warmth they held.

Tomorrow, I was going to meet the woman dad decided to replace her with.

I didn't sleep much that night. Packing took less than an hour and when dad tried talking to me again, I ignored him. I didn't mind that he traveled all the time. I didn't mind how often I had that tiny house to myself. Maybe I even liked the alone time. I wouldn't have much of that once we were in the city and I was forced to share a room with a girl my age.

When we pulled out of the dirt driveway, tears fell from my eyes. I hadn't grown up there but it had been home for the past five years. Just me and my dad, doing the best we could with what we had.

I didn't realize how much my life was going to change until we reached the border of Barrio's edge. The line of cars waiting to get in consisted mostly of Tesla's and Corvettes. I had never seen cars like that before in my life. Trucks and old sedans were common where I came from.

"Hello, sir. Madam. May I ask what business you have in Heatherwood?" The man at the gate was wearing a green uniform. His mustache was thick but that was the only facial hair he had.

"We're moving in with my fiance. The wedding is in a couple of weeks." My father replied, handing the gate man a slip of paper. After reading it, the man nodded and waved us through.

I had only seen places like this in the movies. Here, lawns were trim and professionally decorated. Every lot had at least an acre of space, some with a pool, others with a three car garage. Each house was the same but in a minor way, unique. All of the neutral colors blended together as we drove by, none of the houses sticking out. No one played outside here, either. It was a seventy degree day and the streets were empty.

"I think you'll like it here, Lil." My dad said. He was smiling. Excited.

"I'm sure." I mumbled, not at all convinced.

The house we finally pulled up to was a light shade of green with white doors and trim. The front walkway was lined with pink flowers that led up to stairs and a full-sized porch. The garage had two bays, both of them closed. Dad parked in front of the right one and I stared in wonder at the two story house that was at least double the size of our old one.

"Come on. I want you to meet your future step-sister." Dad said. He grabbed his wallet and keys and stuffed them into his jean pocket before hopping out of the car. I had just stepped onto the driveway when a blonde-haired woman came barreling down the front porch steps.

"Daniel, I'm so happy you've made it!" She cried out. I watched as the woman dressed in a satin blouse and designer jeans practically tackled my father onto the pavement. After giving him a kiss, she finally peeled herself off and turned to me. She smiled with bright red lips but her skin didn't move. Almost like it was made of plastic.

"Oh, you must be Lily. So nice to meet you, dear." The woman hugged me next, the smell of her chemical perfume attacking my nostrils and making it almost impossible to breathe. She stepped back with another smile before turning her attention to the house. "Jane, darling, please come out."

A girl around my age, maybe a year or two older, descended down the steps. Her hair was just as blonde as her mothers but looked more natural. It curled around her face and hung almost to her chest, which was a lot more developed than mine. Add to that icy blue eyes and dimples, and you had yourself the prettiest girl on the block.

"Hi, I'm Jane." The girl reached out her hand to me. I scowled at her pink manicured fingernails and shiny silver rings before shaking it.

"I'm Lily."

And I'm officially gonna hate it here.