Chapter-21

A few wolves managed to break threw the protection line and reach me as my wolves were all fighting. I fought my way through the wolves who threw themselves my way, only getting minor cuts and bruises. My eyes flickered amongst my friends and pack mates to see who was being injured and my heart stung slightly for each life that we lost although so far I had only counted ten deaths.

Casey was a wonderful alpha and I got momentarily distracted by watching him fight majestically. His fight with Callum looked difficult but I could tell he was winning. I was too busy being distracted and didn't notice the wolf that was coming towards me until it was too late. The wolf flew into me at full force knocking me onto my back which winded me. She managed to get a shot at my underside which was vulnerable. She pulled her claws along my stomach in a swift movement. I howled in agony and tried to fight her off but I was too weak. Panic was slowly beginning to consume me and I struggled to think straight as I tried to stop her and get the advantage.

Suddenly, the weight was pulled off of me and Jace mulled the wolf to her death. I cringed slightly and my body slumped as it relaxed. He stood in front of me in a protective manner and the rest of the wolves that were protecting me joined him. I sluggishly pulled myself to my feet and my eyes drifted lazily across the clearing. The battle was coming to an end and the thick stench of blood filled the air. I tried to hold my vomit down but failed hopelessly. Jace nuzzled into me trying to comfort me and barked at some wolves although I didn't catch what he was trying to say.

He shifted and knelt down beside me.. My butt hit the floor as my hind legs gave out and so did my front legs. I whimpered slightly and laid my head on my paws, feeling the exhaustion taking over.

"Hey. Annabelle shift," Jace persuaded me gently.

I shook my head slightly and my eyes closed on their own accord. All I wanted to do was fall asleep. Jace ran his fingers through my fur in a comforting manner and continued to ask me to shift. Soon enough his hands were replaced by the tingly ones of my mate.

"Annabelle. Shift." Casey said in a soft demand.

I reluctantly let my body turn back into its human form, whimpering in pain. Casey whispered soothing words to me as he pulled a shirt over my body and pulled me into his arms. I felt the darkness trying to consume me and finally gave into it, knowing that my mate and loved ones were safe and the battle had finally come to an end. Casey effortlessly carried me away from the clearing as I fell into a deep sleep.

*************************

My eyes opened slightly to mine and my mates dimly lit bedroom. I momentarily thought the fight was just a dream but when I tried to move, the pain in my stomach reminded me it did happen. I hissed slightly in pain and Casey's face was suddenly in my view.

"Hey, are you alright? Are you in pain, love?" He whispered, passing me a glass of water from the night stand.

I nodded my head. "It just stings a little bit. How is everyone?"

Casey sighed and sat next to me on the bed. " We lost a total of fifteen wolves, non of which were close to us. Jace is fine, so is Kyle and Zed. Callum is still alive but he is locked up in the prison for questioning and you have minor wounds and you should be back on you feet in a few days"

I let out a sigh. "Can I see Jace?"

Casey nodded and went out momentarily to fetch him. My mind drifted back to the battle and I kept getting flashes of scenes from the fight. One of which was seeing Callum's smug face. I wanted to kill him. How could he be so cold? How could he attack innocent men, women and children for such an unjust reason? I felt bile rise in my throat at what he had told me. He wanted me to give him strong pups because his mate wasn't strong enough for him. He was seriously messed up.

Jace came in with a big smile on his face and he pulled me into a big bear hug. "I missed you smelly" he teased.

"Hey!" I pouted.

Casey chuckled too. "You haven't had a shower since last night" He joined in.

I pouted again and showed him the bandage around my stomach. The smile fell from both of their faces and I frowned at them. "What?" I glanced down at the bandage and gasped.

"What the hell?" I gasped, freaked out.

The bandage had a glowing, white light coming from it. Casey came to my side and unwrapped the bandage. We all gasped audibly when we saw what was underneath the bandage. The wound that should've been there was completely gone without any signs of it being there previously and the white light was slowly dying down. I glanced at Casey worriedly and he shook his head and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"It can't be. Surely not. No one has experienced this in thousands of years and some people even believe it's a myth." He frowned.

"What?! What is it?" I tried not to freak out too much.

"I need to speak to Jess. She's a witch who lives along the North Coast. I'm not sure if I am right but I'm pretty sure it's a gift from the moon goddess. I'm pretty sure she's turned you into a Lycan" Casey explained.

I looked at him like he had grown a second head. A lycan was almost an immortal wolf who had the ability to heal themselves and occasionally other people. They're was a limited number of ways to kill a lycan and they were all pretty brutal.

"No body finds out about this." Casey warned us both. "It could be incredibly dangerous for people to find out about this. For you, Annabelle, and the pack. For everyone who wonders why you healed so quickly, the wound wasn't as bad at we thought. Got it?"

Both me and Jace nodded and he left to sort out his pack, while me and Casey started packing to see this witch. I sighed and sat down on the edge of the bed with my head in my hands. There always seemed to be something trying to kill us recently. Would it really be like this forever?