Chapter 11

I slip on my red cocktail dress and head to my bathroom. I quickly secure my gold necklace around my neck and then make my way downstairs. I quickly grab my gold clutch and slip on my black high heels. I then exit my apartment and head down to the street. I quickly hail a cab and tell the man which hotel the gala is at.

     After a lengthy drive across Chicago we finally make it to the hotel. I quickly pay the cabbie and then head inside the hotel to the ballroom.

     As I make my way down the staircase leading into the ballroom I immediately spot Jay staring at me in awe. He quickly regains his composure and repositions himself so that he's at the bottom of the staircase. When I reach the bottom he smiles warmly at me and says, "You look absolutely stunning."

     I wipe my curly blonde bangs away from my amber brown eyes as I blush and say, "Thank you. You look quite dapper yourself."

     He smiles, extends his right arm to me, and says, "Shall we?"

     I nod and grasp onto his arm right above his elbow. We then make our way around the gala, stopping to talk with old friends and past colleagues. After several minutes we get a notice that dinner will be served promptly. Halstead and I excuse ourselves and make our way to our assigned table.

     When we arrive at the table we see that we'll be eating with the rest of intelligence. Jay and I go to the two empty chairs and he pulls one out for me. As I take a seat everyone shoots us looks. After Halstead has taken his seat he says, "Just so that you all know, I was only being a gentleman. It's the right thing to do."

     Everyone nods but I'm certain that they don't buy it. I can't help but shake my head at all of them as the meal and drinks are served.

-------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone! Thanks so much for 4 680 reads! I'll attach a picture of Evelyn's outfit at the top of the chapter. I hope that you all have a great week! -Becca